Regulator setup with full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver-man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I normally use DIR / Hogartian setup of regulators on twins (primary reg on 210cm /7ft/ long hose, secondary reg on my neck).
I recently bought Interspiro fullface mask and now thinking how to setup my regulators.
So keep the primary&secondary regs as before and join FFM to the primary first stage?

Last edited:
I dive with my FFM on my primary (short hose), secondary has long hose. You will never donate the ffm, so why a long hose on it?

I dive with my FFM on my primary (short hose), secondary has long hose. You will never donate the ffm, so why a long hose on it?

Exactly what I did for years. The only change was that I had short hose primary with FFM on my left post rather than the right. Never had a rolloff, and the hose routing was better with the AGA because it comes from the left. When I switched to the Guardian, I went right post primary again. Long hose secondary was actually coiled in bungee on my plate, with the second clipped off on a breakaway o-ring for fast donation. It would uncoil from the bungee faster than from around my neck with the FFM.

You will never donate the ffm, so why a long hose on it?
I didn't say anything like that, did I?

Of course I'm not going to have FFM on long hose. I would just keep my previous setup as before, where the regulator on long hose (original primary) will be mounted on snap-hook.
Then add FFM as 3rd regulator...

I didn't say anything like that, did I?

Of course I'm not going to have FFM on long hose. I would just keep my previous setup as before, where the regulator on long hose (original primary) will be mounted on snap-hook.
Then add FFM as 3rd regulator...

My apologies, but before you edited your post, that's the way I read it. Sorry for answering.

My apologies, but before you edited your post, that's the way I read it. Sorry for answering.

No worries... Maybe my original question wasn't much clear.
I think I need to keep reg on long hose for my buddy and also my secondary reg on my neck in place.
So I will end up with 3 regs altogether (FFM & two Cyklons).

Mind if I ask why you need the 3rd reg? Are you planning for both a failure of your FFM as well as a buddy OOG situation? Burdening yourself with more gear for a double failure. If you have your own failure, you go to the backup reg on long hose. If your buddy has a failure, you donate the backup reg on long hose. If you both have a failure, your buddy is out of luck. Just exactly the same as before you went FFM.

Mind if I ask why you need the 3rd reg? Are you planning for both a failure of your FFM as well as a buddy OOG situation? Burdening yourself with more gear for a double failure. If you have your own failure, you go to the backup reg on long hose. If your buddy has a failure, you donate the backup reg on long hose. If you both have a failure, your buddy is out of luck. Just exactly the same as before you went FFM.

You're absolutely right.
Let's assume I remove secondary regulator (from the neck). Then I have only FFM & regulator on long hose.

Normally, long hose goes to the right post. Will you keep that and attach FFM to the left post? (Interspiro is left-oriented).

...Or...

Will you attach long hose reg to the left post and connect FFM to the right post?

If you read my post #3 that is exactly what I did. With the Interspiro, I had the FFM on short hose on left post and long hose on right post through bungee loops. Even though I had a swivel on the FFM, it was better routing from the left post. When I switched to the Guardian mask, I switched to the right post and put the long hose on the left. It could go either way. How much are you concerned about roll offs?

And BTW, you should always carry a spare half mask when diving with FFM.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I am the least qualified to answer this question, but I am interested in FFMs because I think they look cool, so I have done a lot of thinking about them.

Just from doing my own research about typical hose routing and equipment setups among technical divers, it seems that you would have your FFM on a short hose connected to whichever post is most convenient (or modify the hose length to make sure it routs well on the left post).

Then the question of the backup regulator comes into play. You will be primarily using your FFM, and your backup regulator obviously will go on a long hose because you can't donate a FFM (anyone seen Sanctum? hahaha). So this means you are donating your backup (a slight drawback as you don't "know it works" because you aren't breathing off of it). In the event of a donation, you need to make sure three things happen in a normal setup. First, the donated reg should be on a long hose so you can move single file. Ok, simple, just keep your backup on a long hose and the FFM on the short hose. Second, you have to make sure that when you donate, the donated regulator is on the right post so that you are breathing off the left post and will notice if a roll-off occurs (since your buddy will have trouble letting you know if you are moving single file). Well, this is more complicated depending on the FFM you use, but if you aren't worried about a roll off (eg. not inside a restrictive cave) then leave it, otherwise work with your hose length and type (braided would work well here id imagine, as might a 90 degree swivel or something) to get the routing correct to keep the FFM on the left post. Third, and lastly, you have to be able to donate quickly.

This is what I have thought about most recently. Normally you donate the long hose, it comes right out of your mouth if you are using backmounted doubles, and goes right into your buddy's mouth. I would imagine when sidemounting or using a FFM, and the long hose is not in your mouth at the moment your buddy needs your long hose, you would have to unclip it from your right shoulder d-ring. This sounds bad to me. I would imagine that for sidemount or when using a FFM, you would want a "breakaway" device of some sort. But what kind? The stupid rubber things that go around the mouthpiece of a recreational rental octopus... F*** those things. If you look away for a millisecond the bastard sneaks out and tries to swim away. My octo falls out all the time, got me caught up in the only wreck in Cozumel once and ended up getting me and the two divers behind me (who I assumed were watching where everyone in front of us was going, but they weren't) completely lost inside the wreck.

You know what I think would work awesome for a breakaway? A hair tie. Those cheap rubberbands wrapped in some sort of sewn fabric. You give it a good muscle, and it will snap, but they don't break until you play with them for three months straight. I use those on my octo, and I have actually had a problem with my primary and needed to go to my octo once and the hair tie did its job, it broke when I needed a breath of air. I think if you take one and tie it onto a d-ring, and you boltsnap your reg onto the tied on hair tie instead of the d-ring, it works great. my octo has never come loose since ive been doing that (which hasnt been that much) but I see no reason why this wouldn't work for the long hose.

So with a FFM, in my imaginary world where I make a lot more money and have been diving for a lot longer and can afford tec classes and tec experience, the biggest differences to me seem to be making sure that your secondary (on the long hose) has a good, secure, but frangible in an emergency breakaway connection to your right d-ring, and getting the hose routing right for your specific FFM.

Adding more regulators in my mind seems rediculous. having three regs is just asking for it. I mean, you could put regs on all those unused ports in your first stages, but would it make you safer? No. A single secondary on a single primary is as good as it gets. Even in recreational diving, other than for air sharing, having an octo only increases your chance of equipment failure. Unless your primary has a problem with the exhale valves and floods uncontrollably, the housing shatters, or the mouthpiece falls off, having a backup secondary only adds to the number of failure points on the LP side of the first stage that could result in free flow and loss of your only tank (much more likely than the housing shattering, at least). In a situation with two tanks, you have redundancy by separating the two second stages between two first stages. Don't add in those extra failure points on either reg when you don't need to, because you already have the capability to save your buddy, deal with a mouthpiece falling off, or a second stage disintegrating completely. Adding more second stages just increases the chance that something will free flow and force you to stop using that tank/first stage completely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom