Regulator setup for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop:
My question was not only about color but type of regulator too. If we should have the same type/model of regulator instead of an octopus (never as good as the regulator the diver used).

In DIR we use the terms "the primary" and "the backup". We don't use the terms "octopus", "secondary", "Safe Second" etc...

The only criteria for each regulator is that it is a "quality" regulator and the 2nd stage not be of an upstream design like the Poseidon Jetstream. Knowing that then one could use the same type/model for both primary and backup. However it is suggested that the backup be of a non-balanced design (ie: a Scubapro R190 instead of a G250), but most people seem to just use a detuned version of whatever they use as a primary.

My primary and backup are the same for consitancy of operation. While my primary hose is black the backup is on a yellow hose to better differenciate it.

My regs are both the same.

When I first went to the bungeed backup for recreational dives with people who weren't familiar with that configuration or DIR (folks, in my neck of the woods that's most people :)) I would put a yellow cover on my primary.

So it met both requirements at once, yellow = reg to donate from most OW training and the primary is the reg to donate for hogarthian.

Then I adjusted that to have just the yellow hose on the primary because people would always ask me why I breathed off my octo? :confused:

So now I don't bother with yellow at all, I just cover it at the briefing (i.e. "My equipment is configured a little differently than yours, here's where all my stuff is." Then answer questions of "Why?" if any.)

John

(I'm not a DIR authority nor DIR trained.) My only concern would be having a yellow backup regulator. This might cause a traditionally trained non-DIR buddy (which is against the DIR rules AFAIK) to try to yank your backup regulator in OOA situations since it's yellow.

I would avoid bright colors on the backup regulator for this reason.

I'd just go with the same color on both. Brief your buddy, and really, if some panicked OOG diver swims up, he's probably going to be fixated on the one in your mouth anyway. Small apples.

tceylan:
(I'm not a DIR authority nor DIR trained.) My only concern would be having a yellow backup regulator. This might cause a traditionally trained non-DIR buddy (which is against the DIR rules AFAIK)

The only DIR rule for buddy selection is Rule 1.

to try to yank your backup regulator in OOA situations since it's yellow.

I would avoid bright colors on the backup regulator for this reason.

To avoid confusion this should be covered in the pre-dive chat. However I can see where this might be a consideration since people tend to not remember things while in a panic.

While in a personal OOA scenerio my habit trained reaction is turning the second bottle on, my gut says my buddy in an OOA panic, sucking a second reg that appears OOA, is gonna do one of two things... go for the surface or my primary.

I'd rather they grabbed my yellow hosed backup, rather then my black primary in the inital panic. It'll buy me enough time to switch to Air2 and give them my primary regulator...

Hopefully this situation is avoided with good planning, good equipment, and an experienced buddy. And hopefully my buddy is really paying attention during our predive discourse, when I tell him my pony bottle is turned off.

Codiak:
While in a personal OOA scenerio my habit trained reaction is turning the second bottle on, my gut says my buddy in an OOA panic, sucking a second reg that appears OOA, is gonna do one of two things... go for the surface or my primary.

I'd rather they grabbed my yellow hosed backup, rather then my black primary in the inital panic. It'll buy me enough time to switch to Air2 and give them my primary regulator...

Hopefully this situation is avoided with good planning, good equipment, and an experienced buddy. And hopefully my buddy is really paying attention during our predive discourse, when I tell him my pony bottle is turned off.
None of which is even remotely DIR.

Nor is my use of BCD rather then wing as "recommended" I'm looking at all skills, experiences of divers and trying to find the right balance and style. My interest in Solo diving is DIR either, just reality.

The orginal question was about hose color... and yellow 7' primary is mentioned for DIR... not the only answer based on the "DIR" posts so far

Minimalist consistancy to the point of reflex... good in for any "style"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom