Regulator setup for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In a DIR setup, do we have to have the same type and color of regulator twice (regulator + octo)? The one I want to buy is Poseidon Xstream. So, do I need a black and a yellow one or both black? :confused:

Pink is the new Black.

Safety Stop:
In a DIR setup, do we have to have the same type and color of regulator twice (regulator + octo)? The one I want to buy is Poseidon Xstream. So, do I need a black and a yellow one or both black? :confused:

Beyond making sure you measure up to Rule 6, I have never heard nor seen any references from GUE as to colour coding any part of your gear. So buy 2 yellow ones if you want. It doesn't matter.

When we can't get the proper colour (color to you), we improvised and used magic markers.

My question was not only about color but type of regulator too. If we should have the same type/model of regulator instead of an octopus (never as good as the regulator the diver used).

Since your backup regulator is YOUR backup, I guess you get to decide what kind of quality you want for it.

There used to be a recommendation that the backup reg be a different type of reg from the primary, on the theory that conditions that might cause one to malfunction wouldn't be as likely to affect a different type, but I believe that has been dropped. Most people I know are diving the same regs on both, but that's not universal.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom