regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikos81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello guys

I am going to buy a set of regs,octo and console. I was thinking about getting the MK 2+ 1st stage by Scubapro and the regulator will be R295. The octo is going to be the R295 too and about the console, I will get an analogue one,because it is my first time I'm going to buy a set, so not digital yet. I was thinking of getting the Mares Mission 3 console.

What do you guys think about the set?

Sounds like a good choice for a first set! The SP MK2+/R295 is a good basic design system that has been proven to be extremely reliable and a good breather. It is a simple design that is easy to service and has dealer support worldwide. I used an MK2+/R190 (predecessor to the 295) for years and it never let me down. I don't know anything about the Mares gauge console, but since your buying ScubaPro regs, why not round out the package with an Uwatec 3-gauge console? UWATEC IN-LINE 3 GAUGE CONSOLE - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
Makes your whole package from one manufacturer that will be easier when it comes time for service. Just a thought.

Anyways, Congrats one buying your first setup!

The R295 Mk2 seems to have a good reputation for reliability around here, but second stages like the R190 are meant to be better breathers, but I don't know if scubapro make them anymore. Also, as said above, it might make sense to get an Uwatec gauge instead, but the Mares ones are still mean to be pretty good as far as I'm aware.

Just out of interest why do you want to change to a digital gauge at a later stage?

:wink:@NAUIwowee: It is a good thought about getting all the package from one manufacturer, but I like Mares console more. I will not have problems with the service, since my LDS supports both manufacturers' products, otherwise I would have chosen the ScubaPro Triple console.

@James-S: I want to change to a digital gauge afterwards, because of the cost that digital gauges have. I'm still a beginner and I can do with an analogue set, and after a year or two, I will get the digital gauge. I am very well aware of the advatanges I can get by a digital instrument,but I can still live without it :wink:

@James-S: I want to change to a digital gauge afterwards, because of the cost that digital gauges have. I'm still a beginner and I can do with an analogue set, and after a year or two, I will get the digital gauge. I am very well aware of the advatanges I can get by a digital instrument,but I can still live without it :wink:

I don't think you understood what I meant - I mean why would you want a digital gauge at all? It's expensive, more likely to go wrong, and often quite inaccurate. I'm yet to find a piece of electronics with some sort of computer chip in it that has been reliable, so why would you want an electronic display telling you how much longer you can breathe for, rather than a needle sliding up a scale? If you want one then that is of course your choice, but I'm just interested in the advantages that you see in a digital gauge.

i dont know if i would call computers unreliable. and there are lots of benefits to a computer and yes they come at a price. but longer dive times, saftey alarms, ease of use make them a good item to have. you should still know tables and carry a back up SPG so you don't lose out if it should fail. the most common issue is going to be battery issues but they are very reliable. (not so sure i would count on a hoseless as a primary)

i dont know if i would call computers unreliable. and there are lots of benefits to a computer and yes they come at a price. but longer dive times, saftey alarms, ease of use make them a good item to have. you should still know tables and carry a back up SPG so you don't lose out if it should fail. the most common issue is going to be battery issues but they are very reliable. (not so sure i would count on a hoseless as a primary)

I was referring to a digital SPG, not a dive computer., which I do see the benefits to. You say that computers are reliable, and that is your experience with them, so fair enough, but, as I said, every computer-related device that I have ever used has had some error in it, somewhere, and so I wouldn't want to reply on a computer unless it was absolutely necessary.

I don't think you understood what I meant - I mean why would you want a digital gauge at all? It's expensive, more likely to go wrong, and often quite inaccurate. I'm yet to find a piece of electronics with some sort of computer chip in it that has been reliable, so why would you want an electronic display telling you how much longer you can breathe for, rather than a needle sliding up a scale? If you want one then that is of course your choice, but I'm just interested in the advantages that you see in a digital gauge.

I wouldn't call them inaccurate,on the contrary,they are more accurate than analogue ones, but I do find them expensive for me.I'm talking about my standard of diving, and of course since batteries can be an issue, I DO know about the plans and I do stick to the motto "plan your dive,dive your plan". I may not buy a digital gauge if I may feel I will not need it to tell you the truth. You may be right though. I will decide on winter or maybe next year. But for sure,even if I buy a digital console, I will not discard the analogue one, and that is a fact,just in case you are right:cool2:

Sounds like a good choice for a first set! The SP MK2+/R295 is a good basic design system that has been proven to be extremely reliable and a good breather. It is a simple design that is easy to service and has dealer support worldwide. I used an MK2+/R190 (predecessor to the 295) for years and it never let me down. I don't know anything about the Mares gauge console, but since your buying ScubaPro regs, why not round out the package with an Uwatec 3-gauge console? UWATEC IN-LINE 3 GAUGE CONSOLE - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
Makes your whole package from one manufacturer that will be easier when it comes time for service. Just a thought.

Anyways, Congrats one buying your first setup!

Hmmmm now that I've done some more research, it's not a bad idea for the UWATEC IN-LINE 3 GAUGE CONSOLE. I may get this one...It's not so bad after all

I wouldn't call them inaccurate,on the contrary,they are more accurate than analogue ones

They are more precise (different to accurate) than analogue ones, but I have heard of many incidents where they have been quite a way off with the readings that they gave. Just because they give you actual numbers doesn't mean that the numbers are closer to the real pressure than an analogue gauge.

Sorry if that seems a bit hostile - I'm just saying what I have seen about digital gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom