Regulator servicing necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delhi Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had a Mares Abyss regulator since October 2003 and done fewer than 20 dives in the past year. Now this thing is supposed to be serviced every 100 dives or so. Other than the need to remain eligible for warranty, do I really have to shell out the big bucks to get it serviced? :06:

I was considering taking a class on how to service it yourself instead.

.....well, it really shouldn't cost 'big bucks' to perform an 'annual'........but you might start by having your dive shop 'bench test it' first ( check the IP, etc.), if things appear in order at that point, I'd hold off on the 'annual'.......unless doing so will void your warranty, then you have to decide how much you value the warranty.

.....another consideration would be where you dove (salt vs. fresh water) and how careful you are with your gear.........checking the color/condition of the 1st stage filter is a good indicator of your reg's 'health'..........last summer '03, after a weekend in Coz, some of my buddies had to have their Sherwood 1st stages overhauled because they were clogged with carbon particles from worn air-compressor filters......which, of course, had nothing to do with a lack of maintainance of the regulators themselves.

I'm not very mechnically inclined, so I have no interest in repairing my own regs.....I take mine to a shop I trust, I don't feel like experimenting with my own life.

Karl

Many of the newer regs recommend 2 levels of servicing; an annual, which does the performance check & replaces a couple small items, & then every other year a "full" servicing.
Regs used in freshwater are less prone to many forms of wear & tear.
I used to do mine every 5 years if they needed it or not, or otherwise as necessary. (sometimes weekly)
Your mileage may vary.
Getting familiar with servicing your own gear is the best way to evaluate whether or not you can get away with longer intervals between overhauls.

Delhi Diver:
I've had a Mares Abyss regulator since October 2003 and done fewer than 20 dives in the past year. Now this thing is supposed to be serviced every 100 dives or so. Other than the need to remain eligible for warranty, do I really have to shell out the big bucks to get it serviced? :06:

I was considering taking a class on how to service it yourself instead.

It may be required by Mares for warranty reasons. Check with your LDS.

R..

I think Mares has some parts which are replaced every two years.

From the standpoint of a technician...I've seen a LOT of crusty regs in the past, which have been left overdue for servicing.

The main problem with leaving it longer than the one year period, is that some of the o-rings actually disintigrate (ever had a valve that's really hard to turn - the o-rings gone..).

As well, the dissimilar metals start to fuse together (called galvanizing) if they haven't been taken apart and new silicone lube applied. I've actually had regs totally fused shut, which became a mantlepiece - but this usually happens when left longer than a couple of years.

Main reasons for servicing as recommended (good stores it won't be a cash grab):
1. Continuance of warranty (free parts in some cases - very worthwile)
2. O-rings are crucial to performance
3. No galvanization
4. Keeps up appearance
5. Can actually reduce air consumption due to fine tuning
6. Prevents malfunction or water entering
7. Can enhance your resale value.

As for doing it yourself - it's good to know, but most manufacturers offer these clinics to DM's and instructors, you usually need to be one in order to obtain new parts, with some regs, the specialized tools needed can be costly, and it takes more practice than once a year in order to know what you are doing. But the more information you know, the better!!

Hope this helps...

Thanks, that was helpful. Looks like I might have to wend my way to a shop after all!

Mares does replace some parts on a bi annual basis only with the HP seat being one. But like it has been mentioned, other than warranty, I don't think that I would be servicing the reg if it only had 20 dives on it.

Good luck with the service tech thing. If you succeed, I am sure that alot of board members would be interested in knowing how you went about it. The industry has made it increasingly difficult to become a certified technician. Rightly so in my opinion as it decreases the chance of error and stray warranty claims... Also I dont believe that it is realistic for anyone (myself included) to service a reg once a year or every couple years and still be able to know what to look for in the way of problems and what to fix that needs fixing much less be able to perform the service without heavy reliance on the manual and making it a day long project. Sometimes it is just easier to have someone do it for you. Of course like anything else it is subject to exceptions.

rescuediver009:
....snip.... Also I dont believe that it is realistic for anyone (myself included) to service a reg once a year or every couple years and still be able to know what to look for in the way of problems and what to fix that needs fixing much less be able to perform the service without heavy reliance on the manual and making it a day long project.

That pretty much describes my situation. I've been doing my own regs for a couple of years now. I use the shop's workbench and I only do it when the "real" tech is on hand to help me if I encounter something weird along the way. I just did one of my regs a week or 2 ago and it took me 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I think this is something like the 6th iteration for me.

Doing it myself gives me scheduling flexibility but I mostly do it myself for the fun of it.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom