Regulator Servicing Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A honest shop should have stopped and told you "Hey, it's gonna cost!". That's called an estimate.

To confirm what awap said above, after my children raising break, I just dusted off our gear and we went on diving our merry way. Then I took a year to learn some of the DIY skills from this board, and all is well. At least for me, $800 is enough incentive to learn the trade.

Edit
OK I did most of couv's check list before actually diving.

Bay area California dive shop charge anywhere between $20-$30 per stage for labor. Part is probably about $20 per stage.

I just found out my cost for one set up(3 stages) would be $113 with tax...and that is with the warranty for free parts!

I just found out my cost for one set up(3 stages) would be $113 with tax...and that is with the warranty for free parts!

Man, I guess I'm lucky. Like I said in my previous post, my shop does the 3 stages for a flat $40 for my warrantied kit. I also have a used Mk20/G250 (that doesn't include the free parts), and it costs me $80 for them to service that rig.

$800 to service 3 reg sets?....that's far more than I would pay for the regs themselves. I guess I'm a cheapskate. It's really quite a racket in some areas, I suppose.

I'm really glad I service my own regs. Its fun, I know its done correctly, and it costs a lot less.

For $800, I will purchase a new set of reg.

$800 to service 3 reg sets?....that's far more than I would pay for the regs themselves. I guess I'm a cheapskate. It's really quite a racket in some areas, I suppose.

I'm really glad I service my own regs. Its fun, I know its done correctly, and it costs a lot less.

3 first stages, 5 second stages (one total re-build), 2 air-II units, 3 gauge sets, 3 BC's (flush & sterilize), valve service on each, couple hoses, new mouth pieces, new console boot....

No, not the best price, but my regs would run $500 + octo each, so you are apparently wealthier than me as I get my three rebuilt for the cost of a new one.... The biggest hit was the labor charges at the rate I mentioned. No, I'm not happy with the shop, and it is likely the last time they get my business.

DIY is the way to go.
Regulators are somewhat involved but not hard.
The rest is trivial but does require a bit of time, and somebody else's time is your money.

Back
Top Bottom