Regulator Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All. I wanted to see if any dive shop employees might answer a question for me. I’m planning to retire from my job this year and plan on spending a lot more time in the Philippines. I’m thinking about my scuba gear and getting it serviced. I am sure some specialized gear might be hard to get parts for but I wonder about some of the more common gear brands. Can someone tell me if there are any problems getting parts for ScubaPro, Mares, Atomic, Tusa, Zeagle, Cressi, etc.? I guess what I want to know is what brands of regulators that maybe I shouldn’t bring to the Philippines. Thank you all for your time.
Good Dives, Seaflea.

Bring every single piece of scuba equipment , old or new, to Philippines. You can always donate them to any hard up local divers.
You should not have any trouble of finding parts for SP at least.

The Philippines utilizes a distributor network vs a direct network for SCUBA equipment. This means the distributor is buying from the manufacturer, stocking it and selling to the shops versus the shop buying directly from the manufacturer. The result is that equipment choices and specific parts availability are considerably less, than the the US for example, as the the distributors (who are also retail stores) do not carry the complete lines and just can't stock everything like the actual manufacturer would.

The most popular and widely used brands through out the country include Aqualung/Apeks, Scuba Pro and Cressi. The three distributors for those brands are good size, legitimate companies with good communication and support of the dive shops. They also may have branches in other cities than Manila. Mares and Tusa also have distributors, but I have not had much luck in dealing with them.

Getting general service kits are usually not a problem for these brands unless the distributor has run out of stock for some reason. Specific parts such as, for example, a second stage exhaust or first stage body part, can sometimes be challenging as it is hard for the distributors to stock everything and when they run out of something they have to wait until their next shipment comes in. In cases like this, we try to get the parts from the US, UK or OZ. We have them shipped them to a customer who is coming to dive with us and they hand carry them in.

My advice (I have been a tech for over 20 years and have lived almost 5 in the Phils) is to stick with one of those four brands. Worldwide, you can usually find parts and dealers. Please rest assured that I am not dissing other brands like Sherwood, Atomic, Zeagle, Oceanic or XS... Those brands strength is more US based though. You will have a lot of difficulty finding parts or service for them in the Philippines.

Hopefully you'll stop by when you are visiting and get in some wreck dives with us. If you need any help with service, or have any questions just let us know.

The Philippines utilizes a distributor network vs a direct network for SCUBA equipment. This means the distributor is buying from the manufacturer, stocking it and selling to the shops versus the shop buying directly from the manufacturer. The result is that equipment choices and specific parts availability are considerably less, than the the US for example, as the the distributors (who are also retail stores) do not carry the complete lines and just can't stock everything like the actual manufacturer would.

The most popular and widely used brands through out the country include Aqualung/Apeks, Scuba Pro and Cressi. The three distributors for those brands are good size, legitimate companies with good communication and support of the dive shops. They also may have branches in other cities than Manila. Mares and Tusa also have distributors, but I have not had much luck in dealing with them.

Getting general service kits are usually not a problem for these brands unless the distributor has run out of stock for some reason. Specific parts such as, for example, a second stage exhaust or first stage body part, can sometimes be challenging as it is hard for the distributors to stock everything and when they run out of something they have to wait until their next shipment comes in. In cases like this, we try to get the parts from the US, UK or OZ. We have them shipped them to a customer who is coming to dive with us and they hand carry them in.

My advice (I have been a tech for over 20 years and have lived almost 5 in the Phils) is to stick with one of those four brands. Worldwide, you can usually find parts and dealers. Please rest assured that I am not dissing other brands like Sherwood, Atomic, Zeagle, Oceanic or XS... Those brands strength is more US based though. You will have a lot of difficulty finding parts or service for them in the Philippines.

Hopefully you'll stop by when you are visiting and get in some wreck dives with us. If you need any help with service, or have any questions just let us know.
Thank you very much!!!!! That is exactly the info I needed. I will take your advice when putting together my gear package.

Note: I did some diving in Subic about 10 or 12 years ago. Dove with Blue Rock's dive shop and Johan's as well. I will definitely plan a visit Mango's in 2023. Thank you again.

Good Dives, SeaFlea.

The most popular and widely used brands through out the country include Aqualung/Apeks, Scuba Pro

This is pretty much true for anywhere in Asia, EU, Middle East. Like Mang's said nothing wrong with other brands but these are the staples (and by no coincidence happen to make the gold standard for work horse regs; DST and MK25 but will throw Poseidon in there too) that you can pretty much find parts for anywhere in the world especially Asia and EU . Additionally since most international divers use these and many are like me and carry a lot of spare parts for them usually there is always someone that has parts as well in there personal kit if you cant find any at a dive shop. I live in Indonesia and spend most of my time in Asia, Egypt, EU and pretty much everyone and everywhere I dive has Apeks or SP regs and parts as do all my friends. So there is always parts sharing going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom