Regulator record - anyone beat this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I dived the Speigel Grove with two buddies today. 5 divers on the boat. Three of us and a very overweight couple. They look VERY nervous as we leave the dock.

I tried to be a little friendly with the guy. He says that he is really looking forward to diving the Grove but it's the deepest he has ever been. His wife is a total nervous wreck. They set up their rigs and we see that she has FOUR regulators! (The fourth was an integrated inflator affair). He has three and is also carrying a mini spare air. My buddy immediately asks them why. "She had an accident" is the reply from 3REG. "Shut up" says 4REG. "No tell them" he says. She tells us that she had an accident a few months ago in the Caribbean. Her primary had "exploded in her mouth" and she could not locate her octo ("It was stuck"), so she had to make a EA from 100 ft. Her remedy was now to dive with four regs to "make sure".

Luckily she did not dive the SG but 3REG did. He dropped down the line in some really stiff current. Gives the wreck "looksee" for about 30 secs and goes straight up the line. End of dive.

Dive two on the reef. Both drop down with about 20lbs extra each. ("Just in case"). 4REG is dangling her three regs and computer. She grabs one reg in her right hand and uses it as a hook to pull herself on the bottom. Unbelievable to watch. Zero buoyancy control. Just hook and pull. Hook and pull. Entire dive in the sand.

Who certifies these people? (This is not a flame). I am simply amazed...

tridacna:
She grabs one reg in her right hand and uses it as a hook to pull herself on the bottom.

this probably has nothing to do with her previous regulator failure ...

Did you get pictures?

H2Andy:
this probably has nothing to do with her previous regulator failure ...

That's what I was thinking. Maybe she'll advance from the pick and hoe stage and work her way to roto-tiller.
:shakehead

Hard to believe they got on a boat to the SG. There are plenty of boats doing shallow reef.

Must confess to 3... started with the primary and the "inflator/reg" thingie... then I decided to put one of those molded mouth piece things on the primary... *I* wuz' good with it until my instructor looked at it... screwed up her eyes a bit and asked... "So... will that molded mouthpiece fit your wife's mouth?" (wife is principle dive buddy)...

Dang... ended up with a octo anyway... (... haven't gotten around to removing the inflator/reg dealie... maybe just to cheap too...)

However... all that should be clipped is clipped and bouyancy doesn't involve engine blocks... ;-)

I am glad they made it back OK. Was the 4 regs on a H valve? Or did they came off the same first stage? I wonder if she knew how long her air would last if she had a freeflow like the last time?

Some people should just stay home and watch Cousteau on TV

I seem to remember a thread a while back about a diver with two or three octos...and a snorkeler on every one of them. I will try to find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom