regulator questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gatormp03

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have just finished my PADI OW dive course and am trying to find some equipment. I have been to 3 dive shops and they all claim to have the best gear. Is one regulator better than the others. What do you look for in a regulator? This sounds like the old dodge,chevy,ford scerenio.

This sounds like the old dodge,chevy,ford scerenio.

It is. The really key considerations are (i) try before you buy, (ii) get something that you can have serviced locally, and (iii) when you think you have a winner, take a quick poke around the internet to see if they are known to have any longer term maintenance issues.

I swear by Sherwoods, but most people develop deep brand loyalty to the regs that they use.

The worst brand-name regulator you can buy is a good regulator. You really can't go wrong regardless of what you buy. I'm partial to Zeagle. Far as I'm concerned, they have the best warranty support out there. And their stuff is good, too.

I agree with both the above posts. Also what kind of diver are you?
If you are going to dive in cold water you will want to get a reg that is suitable for cold water, like a metal second stage and/or a sealed first stage. Do you want an adjustable second stage?
I dive a Mares Abyss, it has a metal non adjustable second stage.

A store will always recomend a regulator that they sell! Talk to your instructor and other divers...some are better in cold water (Sherwood Blizzard).

At the end of the day every company makes a decent product (from what I have seen).

There are differences between brands and models but none that compromise your safety.

Some will breathe easier than others (more of an issue as you begin to make deeper dive), some have more generous warranties (free service parts for life as long as it's serviced annually & was bought from an authorized dealer), some are more appropriate for cold water diving.

When I was deciding which reg I wanted to buy I read lots of posts here, I checked out the Scuba Lab reviews (Gear | Scuba Diving Magazine) and got to dive with one on my short list for my OW weekend.

BTW Congrats on getting certified!

Last edited:
I second the posting about parts availibility. I know of a well know (technical regulator) that was the Cadillac of regs a few years ago that seemingly can't be serviced now due to a lack of parts. I could tell you what I dive, but that's like asking a waitress what she likes to eat. She is not the one going to EAT, you are! Set your price range and buy the most expensive regulator you can afford. This is your life support system, your life will depend on it. As you progress in your diving you will be more cognizant of what is a good feature, and useless fluff. The more do-dads on a dive regulator the more potential there is for failure or costly adjustments. Make sure that the first stage has enough ports (HP & LP) for what you are planning to do. Make sure the hose routing will work with your BC. Some ports are positioned so that hoses stick out and can make you un-streamlined. If you look at regulators from smaller manufacturers you'll start to note that they all look the same except for the second stage purge cap, examples (DiveRite and Salvo and HOG) all offer the same regulator from Tiawan. They are good regs, but almost all the same design & parts are generally available. The only other thing you should look at is if you want a yoke or DIN attachment. Yokes are used throughout the US and Caribbean. The rest of the world and most wreck, cave divers opted for DIN, while recreational divers prefer yoke. You'll hear about regs that breath great and some that don't. Breathing is a learned experience. As you get more underwater experience, and go deeper, you may find that a regulator is causing you to breath more forcefully. If it can't be adjusted to give you greater breathing ease then you need to shop for a reg that works at greater depths. This is a journey. Most of us, start with some basic gear and expand as we learn and find that our diving skills have improved and now we need better equipment. Brands are a matter of choice. Service is a must. Type of diving determines the type of regulator. Of course what you buy will be the BEST because it's yours.

Most regulators are "good" regulators. Not all regulators are appropriate for all kinds of diving. Define what your diving will entail in depth, temp, service, price, looks (if that is important to you), etc, and make your decision. When most people buy a car they start with what they need the car to do. A farmer does not by a Prius for use on his farm, he buys a truck. While the Prius is probably a "good" car, it won't perform well for farm use.

I agree with all of the above. I think the biggest issue is temp of the water you are diving. If you are only diving warm water and shallow depths, any reg will work very well. If you are diving cold deep waters, then be sure as others have said that you get a good cold water reg.

wow i cant believe this post. for once the question is answered in a un bias way. all of the post here are excelent. they all have touched on the important parts of regulator shopping. useally you will get people saying to buy brand Y or brand X because that is what they dive and the rest of us know it is the best reg since sliced bread.

i congradulate everyone for the informed responses to the OP's question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom