Regulator of choice for Alternative Air Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One important comment about "any old regulator will do"...

I'm an Atomic fanboi. But I don't put their seconds on my pony. They're a seat saver second. So if you pressurize, then shut off the tank to prevent accidental emergency gas loss, then the purge button gets banged, the valve is now open.
As you descend, you will force water into your first stage. No big deal for a piston if you suddenly need the gas, but if you happen to be mixing an Atomic second in with an old diaphragm first, it may lock up. In any case, you now have to service the first stage to prevent internal salt water corrosion.
@rsingler Clarification: So you are recommending a piston first stage to prevent possible water intrusion?

a normal backplate/harness though? Sidemount the thing.
Sidemounting Stage/Pony Bottle

+1

There are a few rabid backmounters on here as you've seen. However, the majority of us prefer to sidemount/sling it. That will also serve you well if you ever decide to move into tech, sidemount or even a CCR. It's good to learn. Plus even if you don't move into any of those it is how many prefer carrying their pony me included.

@rsingler Clarification: So you are recommending a piston first stage to prevent possible water intrusion?

just keep it identical to your back gas and leave it pressurized all the time. If you dive it all the time and sidemount it, then you are essentially sidemount diving with the right bottle on your back or doubles diving with the left bottle sidemounted. You will leave it pressurized 100% of the time so it won't matter what regulator you use.

just keep it identical to your back gas and leave it pressurized all the time. If you dive it all the time and sidemount it, then you are essentially sidemount diving with the right bottle on your back or doubles diving with the left bottle sidemounted. You will leave it pressurized 100% of the time so it won't matter what regulator you use.
What recommendations or practices do you use to prevent a free-flow?

if you sidemount it, then it lives on your necklace.

When you get good at it, you may opt to leave it fully stowed like a deco bottle and just hang it loose until you are in the water. Once in the water and horizontal, you deploy the second stage and put it on your neck, then snap the loop bungee over to sidemount it. This is highly recommended since getting sidemount bottles to behave when out of the water is a righteous PITA unless you are in neck-deep water since they hang funny. I can't stand when I see sidemount divers on boats trying to get everything perfect before they hop in and it gives the rest of us a bad rap for taking a million years to get ready. Get it good enough, flop in the water, and sort it out on decent.

Remember you're not breathing it. A reg that isn't being breathed and is properly tuned will not free flow. I use a Legend LX on my alternate air source and I tune it all the way down in sensitivity (least sensitive) via the adjustment knob and venturi assist. That way it also won't free flow on entry.

Remember you're not breathing it. A reg that isn't being breathed and is properly tuned will not free flow. I use a Legend LX on my alternate air source and I tune it all the way down in sensitivity (least sensitive) via the adjustment knob and venturi assist. That way it also won't free flow on entry.

high current can change that, but generally speaking if you have an adjustment knob and venturi lever, if they are both in "pre-dive" mode then it shouldn't freeflow except potentially on entry if the mouthpiece is up

Not to speak for Rob but his reference is about the first stage and it’s ability to handle water intrusion, you don’t want water in the first stage but a piston is less affected in function than a diaphragm, either would need service if salt water gets in to remove the salt and prevent corrosion. the main point was about the second stage, if it’s equipped with a seat saver it must be pressurized to prevent water intrusion.

After reading several threads on pony tanks, I sure would like to hear what regulator (1st & 2nd stage) you would recommend for alternative air tanks (including pony bottles, stage tanks, etc.)..

I just ordered a 30cf tank, so I’m now in the market for a alternative air regulator. I’m tempted to stick with either ScubaPro or Deep 6 regulators, as that’s what I have now, but wondering if there any special considerations worth considering for alternative air regulators.

If you like scuba pro, get a MK-2 and their cheapest second stage. is it the 190?

Adjust your second stage to be a little "tight" and wear the second stage on a necklace around your neck so you will feel and see any potential freeflow. Leave the tank valve on for the whole dive. Super simple, you don't need to spend a lot or do complicated things for your application.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom