Regulator of choice for Alternative Air Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adjust your second stage to be a little "tight" and wear the second stage on a necklace around your neck so you will feel and see any potential freeflow. Leave the tank valve on for the whole dive. Super simple, you don't need to spend a lot or do complicated things for your application.

Even if it's not worn on a necklace but kept attached to the cylinder like a deco/stage bottle it is still pretty clear if it free flows. If it happens either turn the tank off and back on, turn the reg over so that it's not mouthpiece up or put your finger in the mouthpiece. Regardless of what you do it is easy to handle with it slung at your side.

Thanks, this discussion is very informative which will help me in learning how to best use my new “alternative air” tank.

Not to hijack my own thread but build on it. When I sling the 40cf it’s usage can have different designations as I’m hearing. They are: (1) an alternative air source; (2) as a stage bottle; (3) as a deco bottle (4) others?

For each designated usage, what are their specific associated regulator configurations that are typical or expected? For example, one recommendation was to remove my second from my primary tank and use the pony bottle regulator as the second. Would this be for only the (emergency) alternative air source designation?

Somewhere, I read that if a charter boat captain/dive master hears that on a just completed dive you used your “pony bottle” just for extra air, he won’t be allow it. If true, what is the reason or justification for this complaint, and when would it be acceptable to use pony bottle air for the intended purpose of extending your dive?

Thanks, this discussion is very informative which will help me in learning how to best use my new “alternative air” tank.

Not to hijack my own thread but build on it. When I sling the 40cf it’s usage can have different designations as I’m hearing. They are: (1) an alternative air source; (2) as a stage bottle; (3) as a deco bottle (4) others?

For each designated usage, what are their specific associated regulator configurations that are typical or expected? For example, one recommendation was to remove my second from my primary tank and use the pony bottle regulator as the second. Would this be for only the (emergency) alternative air source designation?

Somewhere, I read that if a charter boat captain/dive master hears that on a just completed dive you used your “pony bottle” just for extra air, he won’t be allow it. If true, what is the reason or justification for this complaint, and when would it be acceptable to use pony bottle air for the intended purpose of extending your dive?
It’s your pony, ride as you see fit.

Different divers have different answers to these questions. I won't speak for others but for me I configure my regulator the same for all uses. If doing a technical dive it is typically a deco bottle but could also be a stage bottle. If doing a recreational dive it is typically an alternate air source or pony. My configuration does not change. I sling it as a bottle on my left side with the regulatory attached and stowed and the SPG clearly visible to me.

It should only be the first three, alternate air, bottom stage, or deco bottle
For me the rigging would be identical for all 3, but regulator would be slightly different
Configuration would all be the same-ish for me. SPG, drysuit length inflator hose, 40" regulator hose likely with a ball swivel. If using for an AAS then it should IMO replace the short hose on your backgas and would have a necklace on it similar to left side sidemount bottle.

The "ish" clarificatoins
If used as an AAS or deco bottle, I would have no issue replacing the SPG with a button gauge since they're $15 instead of $70 for a real SPG and hose. It also removes the 2 most irritating o-rings in a regulator assembly on the spool, and the most leak prone hose. Having 100psi resolution on a deco bottle or pony is not required and the 500psi resolution on the button gauges is more than good enough. Hell for a bottom stage in OW it really isn't required either, though it makes checking a PITA so I'd recommend you use a real SPG if using it for a bottom stage.
Drysuit hose is not "traditional" and the DIR types don't like them. They also don't believe in pony bottles, so you're already out with that, but I have them on all of my stage/deco bottles. They're useful for CCR, but also for DSMB/lift bag use.
Hose length can be personal depending on if you use a swivel first stage or not and if you actually use the swivel if you do *typically not "Swiveled" when deployed if you have the drysuit hose on there*
Swivel would be a requirement for me if it is being used as a pony bottle for comfort, but not for a bottom stage or deco bottle since those do not live on your neck when not being used.

If you are using it as a pony all the time, then I would ditch the short hose on your backgas and use this like a left side sidemount bottle. If you are using it intermittently, then I would treat it like a bottom stage where in an emergency you go to your short hose first, then switch to the spare bottle.

As far as captains/dive masters, they can be weird, so I wouldn't plan on using it as a rule.

I’ve not heard any mention of reversible (left or right) 2nd stage regulators and the importance of that capability? Just wondering.

I’ve not heard any mention of reversible (left or right) 2nd stage regulators and the importance of that capability? Just wondering.

Some manufacturers have second stages that are designed to allow the LP hose to come from the right or left (example Scubapro’s G260 or Apeks xtx200). Such a feature is rather nice for sidemount. I am assuming this what you are referring to.

It’s not, at least for me it’s not. The hose loops behind my head and around from the right and into my mouth. Just like my primary reg which is on a 5’ long hose.

Most all of my second stages are Poseidon's and are obviously non-direction which is better than reversible. I only use that feature on bottles that go on my right side since I prefer to have all of the hoses behind my head. For a bottle on the left, it makes more sense to leave them as "normal" since the hose can rest on your neck. This removes a lot of jaw fatigue, keeps the hose contained, and if it comes out of your mouth, prevents it from falling all the way down.

In addition to my reversible (left & right) 2nd stage hose capable regulators question, I wonder how big of an advantage there is in having a pivoting 1st stage turret for improved 2nd stage hose routing. Just wondering??? Lots of things to consider when selecting a regulator for slinging a pony bottle!

Back
Top Bottom