Regulator Mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looking to replace my old "Comfobite" mouthpieces. Anything I should be considering other than the "SeaCure" ??

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

did you not like your comfobite? what are you looking for in a new one?

There are a fair number of alternatives about, ranging from $5.00 boil and bites made in Taiwan up through custom made dentures from diving dentists. One option that you might explore is the MARES JAX.

P.S. I still use my old Farallon snorkel because of it's boil and bite mouthpiece.

Footslogger:
Looking to replace my old "Comfobite" mouthpieces. Anything I should be considering other than the "SeaCure" ??

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Are you dissatisfied with the Comfobite? I have used both Seacure and Comfobite. Because I'm on a long hose now - and will donate the primary in a low-on-air situation, I have the Comfobite on that reg. It's awesome - much better than the standard fit. One issue I have with Seacure, which I also liked a lot - is that if you get a knock from someone in the water - the Seacure transmits it throughout the jaw. Sounds good, but it can be quite jarring. OTOH - you don't often lose your reg - and it sure cuts down on any jaw fatigue you might have been suffering.

So, I hear DIR prohibits the custom mouthpieces because when you donate, your reg could make your buddy gag! sorry...just thought I would throw that in, you probably don't care, I don't, and I have one on my long hose.

The Aqualung mouthpiece has a really good fit. Much better than the "standard mouthpiece." Just something you might want to look at. You can buy it as a replacement part at most Aqualung dealers.

The difference is that it has a part that goes across the top of your mouth which in my opinion makes it eaiser to hold onto with your mouth and reduces jaw fatigue.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check out all of them before I buy one. Comfobite was good for quite a while and maybe the problem is that they're old and worn out. But on this last trip I had a lot of movement of the mouthpiece and developed a nasty rub on my gumms. Plus I noticed that when I got out of the water my TMJ's were clicking. Part of the problem was that on several dives the tank was turned at a funny angle in the BCD strap and the primary hose was a bit short. The near constant tugging on the second stage was a pain in the arse.

Been diving for many years and can't remember the above ever happening. Me thinks it's time to get something new.

Again ...thanks for all the feedback and alternatives.

'Slogger

Slogger,

If your TMJ is acting up there is a change that your regulator is too heavy as well as a chance that your mouthpiece is wrong for you. I know one TMJer that finally went to a full face mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom