Regulator Mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
Slogger,

If your TMJ is acting up there is a change that your regulator is too heavy as well as a chance that your mouthpiece is wrong for you.
==================================
Yeah ...I thought about that and at first was thinking of a new reg all together. I'm using a USD plastic that I bought in the 90's and I don't believe it's a weight thing. I know I could always go to a lighter second stage model but the one I have is working fine ...so until it dies or I can't get it serviced any more, I'd rather try a longer hose and a new mouthpiece.

By the way ...the TMJ thing is pretty minor and goes away in an hour or so after the dive. Pretty sure it comes from my frustration while diving when I'm trying to find a comfortable position for the current mouthpiece.

'Slogger

If you can find one, the old oceanic side breather is one of the lightest regs ever made.

i have a seacure on my primary & really like it. i know the thought about 'if you donate it, your buddy will suffer a horrible fate', but i put it on upside down last week after i got a new reg & did 3 dives on it that way before i finally remembered to switch it, so i think if my buddy needed it that bad, he could overlook the fact that it didn't quite fit!

I had a Comfobite and because I'm a tinkerer, I thought I would try a Seacure. It felt great but it let my teeth close together too much. After a lot of orthodontic when I was young, my teeth fit together pretty tightly with about a 2 mm overlap on the incisors when I bite down. The net result was that my great reg breathed like a clunker because I had to breeth between those mostly shut teeth. I even tried remolding it and just very lightly biting down but still no luck.

Fortunately, I liked the comfobite so I went back to it. Try lightly biting down without a mouthpiece and breathing through your mouth. If you are like me and there is a lot of hissing and noise when you inhale you might not be the best candidate for a Seacure

Although I've never used the comfobite, I have about 50 dives with the seacure and it has absolutely made a world of difference...no more jaw fatigue after a day of multiple dives.

Walter:
Oceanic has a nice form fitting mouthpiece that is much more comfortable than Seacure and about ¼ the cost.

Any links to where I can locate one? Google isn't doing it for me tonight.

mike_s:
The Aqualung mouthpiece has a really good fit. Much better than the "standard mouthpiece." Just something you might want to look at. You can buy it as a replacement part at most Aqualung dealers.

I've just recently bought new Aqualung regs, and I agree with you on their mouthpiece - however I did already have a few with the same mould, but made with a much softer silicon compound. Definately the most comfortable mouthpiece I have ever used. I bought them about 5 years ago, and have yet to find another as soft.

froop:
I've just recently bought new Aqualung regs, and I agree with you on their mouthpiece - however I did already have a few with the same mould, but made with a much softer silicon compound. Definately the most comfortable mouthpiece I have ever used. I bought them about 5 years ago, and have yet to find another as soft.

I just bought my Aqualung this year, but first used one last year and really liked the mothpiece. I was going to buy one for my old regulator before I upgraded to the Aqualung. I haven't tried the SeaCure, which I've heard good things about, but I'd have to say the Aqualung would be my choice for one that is "not molded" to your teeth.

Well ...I just went ahead and bought the SeaCure and will be adding it to my Aqualung SE2 regulator. Once I've had a chance to install and use it I'll post my comments.

In the meantime ...my thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. All of this stuff comes down to personal preference and experience. I've got the experience with Comfobite and now I'll be adding the SeaCure to my bag of tricks.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom