Regulator maintenence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering what a fair price range for yearly (normal) maintenance should be for a SP mk25/s600 should be. I dodn't have a warranty so I would like a price range including parts for first and second stage and octopus. Thank you. p.s. I am getting all kinds of quotes.

nikyyo:
Just wondering what a fair price range for yearly (normal) maintenance should be for a SP mk25/s600 should be. I dodn't have a warranty so I would like a price range including parts for first and second stage and octopus. Thank you. p.s. I am getting all kinds of quotes.

I'm curious as to why you don't have a warranty?? Did you buy from the internet?

Not sure what it works out to in American Dollars, but we would charge $140 + Parts for A Scubapro servicing.

nikyyo:

I pay about $70 when I get a regulator serviced. Includes parts and labor and I get the old parts returned. I own one USD and one Mares. The price is about the same for each.

PM me if you want the name of the LDS.

Wow $140. I think that I would gladly service 3 complete reg sets for that price. Going rate for my area is $60 + parts. So maybe $140 after parts and taxes if you are buying all the kits. Not really sure about the Scubapro prices though.

Our standard rate is $59 plus parts... parts kit should be about $30 - $40 (not at the office... can't look it up right now). We do the deal where if bought from us, labor is $39 and parts are free for life... And of course, if under warranty, parts are free... But in your situation, probably plan on around 100 with parts and all....

A fair price for labor is $25.00 per stage. SP does not specify a price for parts so dealers can sell them at cost or gouge the consumer and use annual service parts for non warrantied regs as a revenue source. If you are paying more than $10.00 per stage for parts, you are defintiely being gouged.

So anything over about $70 for a first and second stage is too high.

We normally charge $15.00 per stage plus parts cost and most first, second, and octo combinations go out the door for around $55.00.

I would expect parts kits to cost you about $20.00 each. But I would not be surprised if the octo kit was only $10.00. or if the Mk25 & S600 kits went up to $30.00. You are, so to speak, "over the barrel" so it is a matter of how much your service provider wants to take advantage of you. Labor should run $20.00 to $30.00 per stage. Ouch!!

On the bright side, with good user care and maintainence each of those stages should be good for at least a couple years or 100+ dives before "parts" should need replacement. I would look for a service provider that realizes that punishing customers is not the key to business success. You may have to do some serious LDS/tech shopping or look for one of the service centers that does lots of MO service business for multiple brands. Or learn to DIY. It is fairly easy with a bit of mechanical aptitute and interest.

Good Luck

scubatoys:
We do the deal where if bought from us, labor is $39 and parts are free for life...

Larry

What other conditions do you put on this deal?

awap:
Larry

What other conditions do you put on this deal?

Uh... no other conditions.... Stuff like environmental sealing is more - or if you have a 1st and 2nd from us and an octo from someone else... that might run another 10 bucks or so... but no "conditions" on that... We've been doing that since we opened. Works for local folks, and I've got a lot of people that ship us their regs. Normally takes 2 days in house, then back out.... If not in town, you will also pay shipping... about 5 or 6 bucks takes a reg anywhere in the US...

What other "conditions" were you talking about??

Back
Top Bottom