Regulator Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy my first regulator. Among other considerations are maintenance costs. I understand that some regs are more difficult and more expensive to maintain than others. I'm looking for a good entry level reg and octopus that is relatively inexpensive to maintain. Any suggestions?

Any of the major brands would have a primary reg + octo combo that would meet your needs.
Typically, dive shops choose their rental regs to be good performers with low maintenance costs that are easy to service. That can be a nice hint in figuring out which regs hold up well over time.

The Aqualung Titan is a robust, middle-of-the-line reg that is straightforward to service and very reliable.

For warm water diving, Scubapro offers the MK2 first stage (not environmentally sealed) which is a solid performer. The MK2 is a time-tested, piston design that is super-easy to service.

If you'll be diving in cold water, you should probably consider getting a sealed first stage. FYI, most reg manufacturers offer an environmentally-sealed first stage.

In selecting a reg, you should really consider getting a brand that a nearby dive shop can service and tune. Reg performance has a great deal to do with the skill of the reg tech who last serviced it.

Have you used any particular reg brands/models that you liked?

Yes, whisper it quietly but some entry level regs you can probably get away with almost never actually servicing. I have a Sherwood Brut that I have owned since 1984 that once spent 17 years without a service. That is a lot longer than many people stay in the sport. Not saying that I would recommend that course of action for everyone - merely that I did it and didn't suffer any adverse death as a result. But then the Brut is not exactly the smoothest breathing regulator, even at modest depths.

However, you would be extremely unwise to do that with a high end regulator. They just have a whole lot more moving parts and internal seals. But frankly, if you are willing to spend the money on a high end regulator, you are not going to quibble over the $30 odd that it costs to service it every year (or so...).

I to am looking and think that I have desided on the Hog D1. I have heard good things about it's functionality and the service interval is every 2 years not one. In addition they offer a course on how to service the regs (you'll need to get another cert above OW before you can join the course) In the long run it may be a lot cheaper if you have the regs for 5+ years. Especially if you are getting 2 sets, as I am. One for me and one for the wife.

BTW I am a total noob so take this advise and research it yourself to confirm before you make any decisions.

Highflier

The new Brut/Magnum regulators have much improved performance from earlier models.
Both are balance designs and enviro sealed dry first stages.
Higher air flow and less cracking resistance.
Big upgrade from earlier models that I did like for their ease of maintance and bullet proof service intervals in my rental department.

Sherwoods have historically been the best bet by popular SB opinion when this question has come up over the past decade. the previous comments on this thread are good. Sherwood is simple to service and has fewer complications based on its reputation, hence favorite for rental operations.

One of the biggest issues with regulator service is the service tech him/herself. Most of my reg problems have been right after service...."authorized" at that! So my thoughts are that if the reg is simple to service (Sherwood), vs something more complicated, the odds for improper service go up due to the additional steps/parts that would be involved.

A good, rugged, dependable reg that is inexpensive and easy to service is the AquaLung Calypso. My youngest son has one and loves it. It is an unbalanced, piston reg, which means it's bulletproof and warns you when you're low on air.

In the video below, My oldest son (the first one onscreen) has an AquaLung Conshelf 22 (metal second stage) and my youngest is using his AL Calypso (black plastic second stage). I am diving my favorite single hose reg, an AL Conshelf 14 (metal second stage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ugeMri5krM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom