Regulator is squealing or whistling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My 2nd stage is making a squealing or whistling sound during inspiration. It does this from a tank pressure of 3,000 psi done to about 2,300 psi. I can stop the sound by inhaling very very very slowly--in which case I'm almost not breathing. Any clues on what is causing this and how to correct it?

You forgot to mention brand/model

Sold under the name of Parkway. No model name or number available. Parkway that sold this went out of business but the name has been bought by new people. They told me that Parkway of old did not manufacture their own regulators. So far no body has been able to tell me who manufacturer was. I have not noticed any performance problems ie air delivery always adequate regardlees of depth or tmperature.

jbd,
My experience is that whistling or squealing is caused by something in the FIRST stage and the sound is traveling down the hose to the second. Try a different second stage and see if the noise is still there. Is this is a piston reg? If so, often the problem is the piston shaft not sliding smoothly past the small o-ring that seals the shaft. Sometimes just lubing this will stop the noise. Another typical 1st stage noise is caused by the spring oscillating, and turning it around may help. Any good tech can check these problems out in a short time. Hope these suggestions help.
Neil

I'll check into the first stage. I don't know whether mine is piston type or not. All the paperwork for my regulators and octo were destroyed not long after I bought them which why I don't have model info etc.

Is this sound above water or underwater? If it is above, some regs do this anyway. If it is underwater, take it to a repair shop. Maybe it just needs adjusting. Or it may need an overhaul.

If Parkway didn't manufacture their regs, I'm betting there are parts availiable, from another manufacturer, that will fit it. Might take the techs a day or two to figure out who makes the reg, but if it needs an overhaul, they should be able to do it.

If parts are hard to find and you have to pay a tech 100 bucks to fix it then just get a new regulator. For all that repair money and hassle you could get a Apeks TX40 or Scubapro R380 or 190. Modern, hassle free, parts a plenty regulators.

..I only wish. Its more like heavy metal acid rock combined with a 3rd grader trying to play a violin for the first time. :bonk:

Not to offend someones taste in music but I'm old and that stuff grates on my nerves :goofy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom