Regulator Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crux0724

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I was hoping for some regulator help. My father is soon to be certified and I was looking at gear for him and I'm trying to decide on what reg to get for him. Ideally, I would like a balanced 1st and 2nd stage. I'm looking for good value and would like to keep the price below $400 if possible. Brand isn't as important to me as quality, I want a good breather that is going to last.

Thanks,

Timothy

I was looking at HOG and the price definitely seems to be right. What are the differences that will actually be noticed and/or felt between a HOG and an Aqualung Titan LX or ScubaPro Mk17/S600? I guess I am asking, why/how is the price so much lower?

Thanks

The HOG D1 is a DIN valve regulator. Not sure if that makes a difference to you/your Dad.

Edge Gear is their Yoke line. Or there's a new HOG model coming out that can be bought as either.

Currently, finding service may be a bigger issue with HOG. Although there are some options if you don't have a local HOG dealer - including ScubaToys. Who is also a HOG/Edge dealer. You can also check the dealer locator on their website to find a dealer/service facility near you.

Last edited:
Do not buy a DIN regulator for your dad if he is primarily using yoke tanks. If he is renting tanks in the U.S. and caribbean, the overwhelming majority of those tanks are yoke. The DIN reg will not fit on the tank without an adapter, which is far less than ideal.

So, if you can get a HOG reg in yoke (NOT AN ADAPTER!) fine, otherwise, get something else. The good news is that almost anything will work very well. A perennial best buy in regulators is the aqualung titan. There are lots of others.

Do not buy a DIN regulator for your dad if he is primarily using yoke tanks. If he is renting tanks in the U.S. and caribbean, the overwhelming majority of those tanks are yoke. The DIN reg will not fit on the tank without an adapter, which is far less than ideal.

So, if you can get a HOG reg in yoke (NOT AN ADAPTER!) fine, otherwise, get something else. The good news is that almost anything will work very well. A perennial best buy in regulators is the aqualung titan. There are lots of others.

Thanks for the information. I was just going to get a yoke adapter but I will avoid that option now. So, HOG with yoke (not adapter), AL Titan.... any other solid options that I can read about?

Thanks again all!

I doubt most people could actually tell a difference in how the regs you have listed breath. The HOG does have an option to purchase with a yoke connection for around $25.

The zeagle envoy breathes real nice and is around$300 at scubatoys iirc.
performs about the same as the titanLX

Can get an Atomic Z2 for about $409 and the Z2x for about $509. Come in either DIN or Yoke. I have a Z2x and love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom