Regulator Help, Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO Re a diaphragm regulator, it is always good practice to do a quick check of the hp sealing components when the low pressure side is removed-as in the case to replace the -024 o-ring. Simply position the first stage body on a tank so that the diaphragm is facing up. Remove the diaphragm and any thrust washers. Turn on the air and apply a few drops of water in the chamber. If there is a leak somewhere in the hp side you will see bubbling. This takes all of 2 minutes to accomplish and can save you all sorts of time later (not to mention hair.)

See @rsingler 's post linked below for more information:
How to cure IP creep in a Diaphragm First Stage

That's a good approach. I didn't do all that, but I did replace the 024 o ring and that didn't do anything to fix my issue.

I am going to take this in a different direction. From the description of the problem and the fact it's been doing this since new I am leaning toward either an incorrect oring was installed or incorrect machining. What the OP is describing sounds like excessive clearance in the gland for this oring. When slowly pressurized, it does not seal but seals with a pop when pressurized quickly is clear indication that excessive space exist in the gland area with excessive oring movement. That can be caused by either installing an oring of too small a cross section or excessive gland space due to improper machining (or design). Inadequate lubrication can also contribute to this.

I am going to take this in a different direction. From the description of the problem and the fact it's been doing this since new I am leaning toward either an incorrect oring was installed or incorrect machining. What the OP is describing sounds like excessive clearance in the gland for this oring. When slowly pressurized, it does not seal but seals with a pop when pressurized quickly is clear indication that excessive space exist in the gland area with excessive oring movement. That can be caused by either installing an oring of too small a cross section or excessive gland space due to improper machining (or design). Inadequate lubrication can also contribute to this.

Good possibility. I'm hoping to find out in the next few days and share with everyone. I wish I had more time to figure it out on my bench.

Ok, so manf. got back to me. It was an o ring on one of the HP port plugs. There's a good chance it was me trying to route hoses.... this is on me. At least there's a better chance that it's my fault then the guys that put them together everyday. Nothing wrong with the reg, just user error.

Just waiting to get it back in the mail.

Dunking it under water would have pinpointed where the leak was for sure.

:banghead:
Thanks for confessing and sharing!
I love ScubaBoard

I've got nothing to prove to you guys:)..... now, who needs me to rebuild their reg?...... anybody? ..... Bueller? :rofl3:

Wow a lesson in troubleshooting… try the simple things first.
I've got nothing to prove to you guys:)..... now, who needs me to rebuild their reg?...... anybody? ..... Bueller? :rofl3:
Seems so obvious now. Thanks for sharing we’ve all learned something.

Oh, yeah. Looking at the video again, I can see that when your finger gets near the port the sound of the leak changes.

A little soapy water spray would also have shown the source.

But the port o ring was not my first (or second) guess on what was leaking.

Uhhh, no, but thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom