Regulator Geeks: Scubapro Mk19EVO - teardown & discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SP 1989 catalog listed specs:
MK5 flow @ 2000 psig ...87 SCFM
MK5 flow @ 300 psig ...48 SCFM
MK10 flow @ 2000 psig ...80 SCFM
MK10 flow @ 300 psig ...73 SCFM
Great, I always wanted to see flow rates at 300 PSI. Which is basically giving me the worst case scenario. Do we have flow rates at low tank pressure for MK17, Atomic etc as well? (and I assume that is Mk10 standard, not plus?). And as Rob pointed out in the seminar, the IP drop at 300 PSI and full inhalation is also worth considering.

If I already have a MK17 EVO, will be exclusively diving single tank, and have a long hose configuration, is there really any point in considering the MK19 Evo right now?
I have multiple of MK17, MK17 Evo and MK19 Evo first stages and unless you definitely need a turret, MK17 Evo will do just fine.

Additionally, I wouldn’t worry too much for IP swing because even on my recreational dives my tanks barely reach third as reserve so I never deplete 90 percent, plus balanced second stage is also compensating that swing so I doubt if anyone says they can feel the difference between 200 bars versus 50 bars. Personally I don’t.

Thank you! :). Makes me feel right at home knowing I'm not the only one who saves old catalogues. Notice the stated drop in flow of the mk5 at 300. At 3000 I believe they are both over 100 scfm. So the mk10 was marketed as more stable even though the mk5 had better flow at higher pressures. The mk10 being substantially better at lower pressure.

If you don't need the turret (or end port) then I guess there's no real reason. Even if I'm wrong and the MK19 is significantly better than the MK17 in terms of IP stability over the supply range (certainly possible, I've never measured a MK19, just always thought that they were internally identical to t he MK17) then it likely doesn't effect the real-world performance of the reg with a balanced 2nd stage.
I believe Scubapro States the mk17 /19 at 6500lm and the Newer MK17 / 19 EVO at 6900lm also claiming better balancing. Again from recollection and not personally measured.

Finished this video Loved it.
Fantastic.

My figures were from a very experienced SP technician who said he measured the MK10 around 110 SCFM at 3000 supply and the MK5 around 105 at 3000. But honestly as we both know, it doesn't really matter. There's no doubt, just looking at the two pistons, that the MK10 is less restricted in terms of aerodynamics. Supposedly, the MK10 was made smaller because it allowed SP to machine the entire HP and ambient chambers out of one billet of brass, which ensured that the piston head and piston shaft journals were precisely concentric, and they were able to improve the tolerances around the HP o-ring. I'm not sure how well that worked; they went back to the 2 piece design for the MK15/20/25.

I don't have a flowmeter, so I really don't know the precise flow numbers, and I guess I don't really care. I do know from experience that the MK10 IP really pushes up at higher tank pressures, presumably for the reasons I mentioned earlier. So I don't use MK10s with HP tanks any more but I'm perfectly happy using MK5s or (even better) MK15s for those situations. I don't own any MK20/25s, I've sold all the ones that have come my way in favor of my MK15s. But I will eventually run out of seats for those and at that point I'll find a pair of MK25s to use.

Great, I always wanted to see flow rates at 300 PSI. Which is basically giving me the worst case scenario. Do we have flow rates at low tank pressure for MK17, Atomic etc as well? (and I assume that is Mk10 standard, not plus?). And as Rob pointed out in the seminar, the IP drop at 300 PSI and full inhalation is also worth considering.
Yes, those numbers are for MK10 standard.
The catalog specs for MK10 plus are 73 SCFM @ 3,000 psi & 60 SCFM @ 500 psi.
Not sure were to find low tank pressure flow rates for most other first stages.

Attachments

• mk10plus.jpg
    mk10plus.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 41
Yes, those numbers are for MK10 standard.
The catalog specs for MK10 plus are 73 SCFM @ 3,000 psi & 60 SCFM @ 500 psi.
Not sure were to find low tank pressure flow rates for most other first stages.
That's surprising, I thought the concave seat and flared piston of the plus were supposed to increase flow rates over the mk10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom