Regulator for tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you train to overhaul deep6 reg? Or is it basic engineering skil? So does deep6 selll the overhaul kit?
I'm sure loosenit2 will answer as well. The Deep6 are common designs. They sell the repair kits, they provide the repair manual. They teach the class (generally in the US). The repair is very similar to Apeks regs. I've rebuilt my SP109, 156, and Deep6 a few times. They are all very similar. Second stages are rather simple. First stages a bit more complex, but just simple mechanics if you have the right tools such as torque wrench. Service Manual

Vintage Double hose has videos of SP109 and 156 repair. The Deep6 is really just the same.

As others have mentioned, if someone there services Apeks, they would have familiarity to service Deep6 (or Apeks).

Did you train to overhaul deep6 reg? Or is it basic engineering skil? So does deep6 selll the overhaul kit?

As Michaelmc said, Yes deep 6 sells service kits, with every reg you buy they include a service kit. They also publish the service manual and will teach you to self service at clinics if you want. Very open business model.

The tiny/diminutive start up companies sell parts and tools and expect end user to do the servicing because they don't have the distribution network or the financial bandwidth to do it through their own dealer network or themselves. They make up for their shortcomings by putting the burden and risk on the consumer. They make the "defect" appear as a feature and an advantage.

It is the safest bet to deal with well established companies that have best products, best service and best support worldwide. It all comes at a cost but the investment is safer and the consumer is well protected especially when the consumer is stand alone recreational or technical diver who is a weekend hobbyist that has no time or inclination to do the servicing themselves.

(Note: The aforementioned tiny/diminutive companies are indeed just that, tiny/diminutive, when compared with companies such as AL and SP who have annual turn over in the 100's of millions of Euro per year in the civilian sector without counting their business in the military segment worldwide.)

The miniature, make-belief, companies
What is your cut off on 'miniature, make-belief, companies'?
Apeks?
Aqualung?
Poseidon?
Cressi?
Oceanic? Hollis?
TUSA?
Halcyon?
DiveRite?
Hog?
Deep6?
Zeagle?
Atomic?

Investment?
It's a part with some moving pieces, some of which need periodic replacement or cleaning, not a house.

The miniature, make-belief, companies sell parts and tools and expect end user to do the servicing because they don't have the distribution network or the financial bandwidth to do it through their dealer network or themselves. They make up for their shortcomings by putting the burden and risk on the consumer. They make the "defect" appear as a feature and an advantage.

It is the safest bet to deal with well established companies that have best products, best service and best support worldwide. It all comes at a cost but the investment is safe and the consumer is well protected especially when the consumer is stand alone recreational or technical diver who is a weekend hobbyist that has no time or inclination to do the servicing themselves.

This has got to be one of the most nonsensical posts I have ever read. It is the same as saying everyone must only buy from Walmart or amazon because only they are big enough to deal with every contingency. The world is a more interesting place then that.

If you want the comfort of a big a Distributor and are willing to pay the premium then ok, that is a perfectly legitimate choice.

If you want more flexibility and choice, at a lower cost then there are choices for that as well. Fully acknowledge there is some risk in the choice.

You made your choice, and that is fine, stop trying to demean other options.

Investment?
It's a part with some moving pieces, some of which need periodic replacement or cleaning, not a house.

I can live in a tent and it won't cause me to suffer injury or even worse when an issue in the regulator at 60 meter would. I deal with instruments that are very small and cost a lot less than a room in a house yet if they don't work, they will cause somebody to die.

This has got to be one of the most nonsensical posts I have ever read. It is the same as saying everyone must only buy from Walmart or amazon because only they are big enough to deal with every contingency. The world is a more interesting place then that.

No, this isn't what I said and Amazon or Walmart aren't international and certainly don't make their own products. Amazon is more of a channel than a vendor and Walmart is almost the same. Neither one of these two giants are relevant to the topic at hand. Your analogy and example is one of the most nonsense comments I have read tonight.

If you want the comfort of a big a Distributor and are willing to pay the premium then ok, that is a perfectly legitimate choice.

If you want more flexibility and choice, at a lower cost then there are choices for that as well. Fully acknowledge there is some risk in the choice.

It is a free market and choices for all, it is also prudent to let the new comers know of the consequences of the choices available especially the ones that aren't living in the US.

You made your choice, and that is fine, stop trying to demean other options.

So pointing out the disadvantages and potential risks in the choices available is demeaning? We can't say our opinion and offer advice because it will be "demeaning"??

Dude, you are neglecting the very big fact here is that the OP is in the Philippines NOT in happy "Kansas." There is a whole wide world out there outside the US and what works for you in your happy land most likely won't work for others living thousands of miles away from you.

I can live in a tent and it won't cause me to suffer injury or even worse when an issue in the regulator at 60 meter would. I deal with instruments that are very small and cost a lot less than a room in a house yet if they don't work, they will cause somebody to die.
Yes, things failing cause issues at 60meters.
(60m is past the recreational depth, but let's let that go, they are looking at tech).

I listed some with stelar reputations for quality. Some not so much, but I wanted to be inclusive. You were focusing on size and breadth of distribution. On that list, size and breadth of distribution are not directly correlated with general views as top performance or rock solid reliability.

Thank you!
Yes that corresponds to roughly my understanding from people I know and the board.
The OP can weigh factors, consider their local support and service intentions and make a choice.

Aqualung is great company with worldwide distribution and very good regulators. It has been around longer than most other companies. Their Apeks regulators are probably the third best regulators after SP and Atomic. No issues with AL from an intentional point of view.

Poseidon: It has its own follower/cult and appears to be a solid company but it has a very limited distribution network and isn't a viable option for most these that are outside US and Europe.

Cressi: Its regulators and scuba specific products SUCK big time. Its customer service is even worse.

Oeanic/Hollis: I haven't had anyone I know praise their Oceanic regulators. I don't know of anyone who owns a Hollis regulator. They are a long time company with strong presence in the US and are now owned by Huish Group, the same owners of Atomic and Zeagle.

TUSA, they have international presence but not big. The regulators they distribute in my region are SP and Beuchat branded regulators. They appear to be a good company to deal with but certainly don't have the name or the distribution strength of SP and AL.

Halcyon: They have very weak presence everywhere but appear to make very solid BC's. Their regulators are SP rebranded regulators AFAIK. I'd just buy SP instead especially outside the US.

Atomic and Zeagle: Atomic has probably the best regulator out there. It doesn't have the robust distribution worldwide as SP and AL but they are some of the best products out there.

Dive Rite: Some of their products are excellent and of high quality but don't have international presence. They certainly don't have the international vision and the financial strength to be available and credible worldwide.

HOG/D6: They are a droplet in the US market and nothing outside the US. This isn't to say that they don't make good equipment, but they aren't international and have "opportunistic" presence in the international market outside the US. One wrong product or lawsuit may tear them down (they aren't the only weak ones in this list).

You are most welcome!! My apologies if I appeared "hostile" but I just wanted to present the "cold facts" without being emotionally involved.
Thats fine.

You know, paying a $300 or $500 for a regulator distributed by a tiny company in the US and then having to buy another one from another company may not be a big deal for somebody living in a "rich" more affluent US but for somebody in third world country where a $300 or $500 are several months of salary, it is a huge thing if their investment doesn't pan out and they can't get support or service.
Certainly.
And pulling up a Deep6 first and second shows $390. Which is significant.
On LeasurePro, a Mk25 G260 comes up at $810, w/ S600 $845.
Which is part of the cold facts. Perhaps the pricing is different elsewhere.
Whether that is relevant depends on their local service intentions.

Mk17 w/ G260 is $675

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom