Regulator for Completely Green Beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just about to take my OW course to certify before a trip to Cozumel. One piece of equipment that I'd really like to own and not rent is my own regulator.

I really am JUST starting to look at these. Been looking at Oceanic, Scuba Pro, and Atomic. Really pretty interested in the Atomic for the 2 year service intervals.

I will primarily be diving warm water, and mostly on trips to Mexico. I'm willing to spend up to $550 if I need to.... this is one item I want to make sure is quality.

What brands should I be looking at? Any specific models?

Loaded question with numerous responses forthcoming no doubt.

Get a quality balanced setup and go diving......that's all I'll offer. Welcome to a wonderful sport.

Thoughts on Hollis 200LX DCX? Could pick one up for $550

Ah you need a green regulator then ???????? Joking

Just buy a middle range regulator of reasonable quality. Most are of acceptable quality. Dont get sucked in by the marketing hype

Dive right in scuba has some insane deals from "Black Friday" still going on. We have been very happy with our HOG/edge regulators from them. I bought 4 complete set ups for my family and they actually talked me out of the more expensive reg sets I thought I wanted. I love my set up with an Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 integrated computer instead of a console.

Scuba Toys is close too.

Both have great sales people and prices.

Merry Christmas and welcome to the addiction.
Jay

I would also give Deep 6 a call to find out if they would do a special deal!
The current list price of a COMPLETE set is US$565.00.
I also like the special Apeks package(DST +TX50) for US$259.00 at DRIS. Ask them how much is an extra TX50 or any 2nd stage from Apeks except Freight? Alternatively, the special HOG package is pretty good as well.

In our part of the world, our LSD never ever offer any special price on the phone! You guys are very lucky in USA.

Last edited:
I would also give Deep 6 a call to find out if they would do a special deal!
The current list price of a COMPLETE set is US$565.00.

In our part of the world, our LSD never ever offer any special price on the phone! You guys are very lucky in USA.

Call the shops in the US and see if it makes sense to ship it to you. Or have friends and family to bring it over while visiting you. I buy my stuff at LDS but if there is a deal that is too good to miss, I normally go with the second route.

Scubatoys is a 45min. drive away so I'd go there for some hands on/demo exposure. They won't steer you wrong, I've been buying from them for a decade. They sell Atomic, Oceanic/Hollis, Dive Rite, Hog/Edge.

What can you get serviced locally? Or is Scubatoys a "local" option. Since IIRC they service just about anything they can get parts for for $59. Is $550 a total budget or just 1st/2nd stage? If the former, look at some of the ^^ recommendations since an octo is $100ish or more and gauges about the same.

If it's the latter, I'll help you spend your $550. Some options from Atomic or Scubapro, IDK Hollis/Oceanic (same co.) well enough. Another in the same vein is Aqualung and Apeks since they're the US distributors and owned by the same parent co. I included an option from them also.

The least expensive Atomic is the Z2. Z stands for Zirconium - the material they plate the brass with. A Z2 is $429 anywhere, $469 sealed. You might want sealed if you start diving TX lakes (I've seen one, friend lives in Houston) otherwise for Cozumel, Caribbean etc. it's probably not necessary. The other option is a Z3 at $549. As near as I can tell the primary difference between the Z2 and Z3 is the swivel hose - they get almost $100 retail for it alone.

I've dived Atomics for about a decade - I currently have a T2. All Atomics breathe the same, the difference is in the actual materials used - Zirconium, Brass, STainless or Titanium. Every Atomic has a Titanium 2nd stage lever - the price differences are mostly due to cost/complexity of manufacturing and what materials are used where - Titanium is harder to machine.

The reason they have a 2 year service interval is their Seat Saver Orifice, it moves the poppet from the seat (2nd stage) when the regulator is powered down - prolonging it's life since it doesn't imprint. Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

In the Scubapro line there's two I'd consider. I'm personally not a fan of the Mk2 since it's an updated 60's design. Also it only has 1 HP port so if you later buy an wireless computer, there's no good redundant option since many people who do carry a backup small spg in case the transmitter/receiver fail. I'd want two HP ports personally.

So two within your range are the Mk11/S360 - a balanced diaphragm (better at lower temperatures/silty conditions) or their newest - the Mk21/S560 at $571 - a balanced piston with an adjustable 2nd stage. No personal experience with either but were I in the market, I'd have a tough time choosing. Actually I almost bought a Mk25/S600 prior to buying my first Atomic instead.

My last option is one of the two Aqualung's. I like to suggest them as a mid-range option since I see more Aqualung or Scubapro dealers than Atomic at most Caribbean destinations.

One option is the Core at $450 - from what I've read it's based on the Titan so parts are easily available. AL has pretty tight control of their inventory so mostly service is done thru your Aqualung dealer. The other option is their travel reg, the Mikron. I've never even seen one in person so have no idea how much smaller it is.

I used online retailers for all these regs but you should be able to find similar prices locally + tax.

I'm not in the Deep6 camp yet, they're a new company. Good people behind it but I personally believe that most people suggesting them are basing it on their experiences with Hog - the previous company the owner (cerich here) ran - and not the current one since Deep6 only started shipping anything earlier this year. FAQ

Interesting reg business model, buy direct, they provide service kits so you can DIY or find a local dealer to do the service. Their current model has you sending the reg back to them for service as needed from what I've read on their website - not for me personally but YMMV. Deep6 currently only has about a dozen stocking locations so it may be hard to see one in person. The closest to you is a few miles from my house - in Phoenix - according to their website. Or in Tulum.

I don't follow Oceanic/Hollis (same company) so no comments on them. In case it's not obvious - this is DRIS - they also sell some of the brands you're looking for.

hth,

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom