regulator for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apeks XTX 20. i'm surprised to..it says 18 to 21 metres..
Apeks XTX20 is a great regulator, a workhorse made for the beginner
scroll down..it says

This regulator will perform well in standard leisure dives in water above 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius) and at depths of 60-70 fsw (feet saltwater) (18-21 meters).
That’s not to say that this regulator can’t handle harsher conditions. It can.

i just want to know what will happen if i go over the 21 metre mark...it would still work definitely, but what will happen?

I don't understand what underwaterdivingequipment.com bases that statement on. I cannot find where it is justified by any quantitative testing, statements by the manufacturer, or diving publications.
XTX20
Apeks Products

Scroll down until you find the XTX20, note the perfect simulator score.
Best New Regs Of 2006 | Scuba Diving Magazine

To confirm this to your satisfaction, just Google Apeks XTX20. You may find information that I am unaware of, or find that this is a purchase that you can make with great confidence. Please let us know what you learn.

Last edited:
The Apeks XTX 20 is one of the best regs you can buy.....period
It has the same (gas flow) performance as the darling of the tech diving crowd...the DS4 XTX 50.
The 20 just doesn't have the cold water bits or adjustment knob.

It's kinda hard to make a recommendation without mentioning your 'budget range', as well as whether or not you'd be willing to buy a used reg, which won't have a factory warranty, but will allow you to afford a nicer reg with higher performance that you'd otherwise be able to afford.

My instructors only gear buying advice ... get the best performing reg you can afford (that does not mean the most costly one)
A solid reg can last a lifetime of diving and you dont want to get a reg that's "good enough for now" and be disapointed soon after and want a better breathing reg

He was right

great insight everybody! thanks alot..i am trying to make up my mind on the cressi mk5 and the apeks xtx 20 they are well in my budget but i cant make up my mind! omg! any suggestions...

hi guys thanks for helping out for my last few threads..

i was wondering..which regulator i should get for a beginner but yet not so cheap something tat can go at least 30 metres..

any recommandations?

Once you know you'll continue to dive I'd bite the bullet and get one of the top regs unless you're on a tight budget. My reasoning is that the reg will last at least 10 years and you'll be stuck with it that long, long after you've become an advanced diver. And the extra couple of hundred dollars spread over 10 years is not that much.

Adam

I'm just getting started into diving and just ordered the HOG D1 1st and 2nd's. I only wanted to buy regs once. Combined with the fact that I'll be able to service these myself.

hahah! i better not do tat..i would screw it up as i dont know nuts about regulators..hahaha i would be breathing in water for the next dive..

Apeks. Get a 50, and a book about scuba diving and the equipment of scuba diving so when you go under water where we were not meant to go you may have some idea about what's going on. hahah"

hahah! i better not do tat..i would screw it up as i dont know nuts about regulators..hahaha i would be breathing in water for the next dive..

Apeks. Get a 50, and a book about scuba diving and the equipment of scuba diving so when you go under water where we were not meant to go you may have some idea about what's going on. hahah."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom