Regulator choice for new diver/warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today I went out to a lake with another open water class from my LDS and had a chance to do a couple of shallow dives (35ft), one with the titan lx and another with the SPMK2 190. I actually spent some time on the training platform (25 ft) at the end of my second dive with the scuba pro to see how the unbalanced first stage would react to low tank pressure. To my surprise, it seemed to work fine right down to 300PSI, at which point I ascended. It did draw a little harder, but pretty subtle from my perspective. Other than that, i had a tough time telling much difference between the 2 regs. On the basis of this, I'm going with the less expensive SP, which I'm now convinced will suffice for my level of experience. (very little) At some point in the future, I'm sure I'll want to upgrade, but by then I'll have the experience to make a regulator decision in a more informed way. Thanks again for all who commented on this.

My reg for the last five years has been the trusty 'ol Mk2/R190 combo. Other than being a bit on the heavy and bulky side, this thing is great. Takes a beating real good. I've dove it most places in Texas, and the Caribbean, and never had any trouble. I may eventually switch to an R380 soon though, as it's basically an R190 in a more compact housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom