Regulator checklist and inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm renting a reg for 4 days of which I'll be on a different island so if anything goes wrong, I can't simply take it back to change (I could probably rent another on the island)

Anyhow, what should I especially check? First time I'm renting after my OWC. Or just use this steps in this guide?

Cheers

I'm renting a reg for 4 days of which I'll be on a different island so if anything goes wrong, I can't simply take it back to change (I could probably rent another on the island)

Anyhow, what should I especially check? First time I'm renting after my OWC. Or just use this steps in this guide?

Cheers

Use the steps in this guide. I expect your renter will be able to provide a tank and an IP gauge

Great thread. Thanks to all for this very useful information......

I have a question regarding checking the cracking pressure of the 2nds. I've seen one website that says 2" of water and this thread says 1.5". Also my second is fully adjustable and it's not clear if I should use the 1.5/2.0 with the adjustment tuned to min or max. Also does the venturi adjustment matter?

No, 2" is way too stiff, and 1.5" is only good for an octo.

I always tune my main 2nd's with the Venturi mid way, the adjustment knob all the way out (easiest breathing), and I tune the orifice for about 1". Note that they (SP 109/156/BA/G250) all settle to about .8" "naturally", but they'd free flow a bit in a head down position, so I tune them to about 1".

I have a question regarding checking the cracking pressure of the 2nds. I've seen one website that says 2" of water and this thread says 1.5". Also my second is fully adjustable and it's not clear if I should use the 1.5/2.0 with the adjustment tuned to min or max. Also does the venturi adjustment matter?

the venturi effects the flow once flow starts so it does not effect cracking pressure. design limitations limit stable cracking pressure to a bit under one inch at best - and performance in that range may be touchy [vulnerable to freeflow]. 1,5 inches is reasonably achievable with most any 2nd. 2.0 inches is something i would associate with an octo or poor performing 2nd. with an adjustable 2nd, the spec is usually set with the adjustment in the easiest breathing position. but if you don't mine managing that adjustment closely, you can set it so there is a slight freeflow which you then control with the adjustment. once you get close to 1.0 inches, it is pretty hard to notice any small performance changes. i tend to set my adjustables very aggressively and use the control to stop slight leaks.

I have a Hog D1. I think I have them both set to 1" in the all the way out position. Actually I think the primary is closer to .75".

My octo sometimes hiss's just a little and if I dial the breathing adjustment in a little it stops. Sounds like what awap is saying. Short of getting in the water to see how it works out..... does this sound OK or would you tune the one or both down a little?

---------- Post Merged at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I've played it a little more and I think this is a better description of where I'm at.

Primary: Flooded reg with breathing tuned all the way out results in a tiny bubble every 2 seconds. Dial it in and the bubbles stop. Doing the test procedure results in air to start flowing at about .75" with breathing adjustment all the way out
Secondary Flooded reg results in no bubbles regardless of breathing adjustment. Test procedure results in air to start flowing at about 1.25" with the adjustment all the way out.

Yes, you're cool.

Me I have to deal with the family members, so I play it safe and set them to 1" primary and 1.5" secondary. Not a big difference in the field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom