regulator brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agesilaus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm assembling two set of diving gear for me and my wife. I have picked up two AL80's and a steel 95 tank. And I got a Scubapro G200+balanced with octopus but no safe second. I got the regulator completely rebuilt and a safe second added for $230, so I'm not sure if I ended up with a good deal there.

But my main question is this: I see a number of regulators for sale locally:

1) A Poseidon with a side exhaust for $200 (he has been trying to sell this since December). It has an Octo but just a SPG no console.
2) several Sherwoods for $100 or so.
3) A Dacor for $65 but it's a long drive for that one.

The fellow I bought the AL80's from wants to sell a Zeagle BCD, Sherwood reg, and a dive computer that I didn't get the brand. It has an octo and console. All that for $300. That seems like a good deal if the BCD fits the wife.

Any guidance for the new guy?

Ok new guy:

1) Poseidons are known for being difficult and expensive to service.
2) Sherwoods are cheap to service but could be expensive if they need parts. What are the models? Stay away if they are the 3100 because they are not supported.
3) Dacor is out of business. It will be difficult to find service unless it is a Viper.

The value of the BC package depends on the weight and condition of the items. If the items are late model and in good condition it is deal. If they are left over from 80s and look like it then I would pass.

The BC looks fairly modern but it's at least 10 years old. I've seen some for sale in really sad shape, they look like deflated blobs of fabric. And someone was selling one as a CO2 inflatable life vest, probably not knowing what they had...heh.

OK I'll scratch the Poseidion and Dacors off the list. I may just go to my LDS and get one of his used but serviced and tested used outfits. tank, octo, safe second, console, BCD, and a computer for $500-600. Probably cheaper in the long run.

The Poseidon side exhaust regulators are nice if you need to dive on your back, i.e. upside down. Bottom exhaust regulators tend to leak occasionally in this position. Is is a Cyklon metal? That's a beauty. Xstreams are nice, too. Especially for extremely cold water.

The BC looks fairly modern but it's at least 10 years old. I've seen some for sale in really sad shape, they look like deflated blobs of fabric. And someone was selling one as a CO2 inflatable life vest, probably not knowing what they had...heh.

OK I'll scratch the Poseidion and Dacors off the list. I may just go to my LDS and get one of his used but serviced and tested used outfits. tank, octo, safe second, console, BCD, and a computer for $500-600. Probably cheaper in the long run.

I am not sure where you live in North Florida but there seems to be a several dealers. If you want them then give a dealer a call for the service cost,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom