regulator bites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll put in my vote for the Sea Cure mouthpiece. I have an upper denture and just about any mouthpiece got uncomfortable after a while. But since switching to Sea Cure, even long dives, mouth feels great!

As a diver who has literally bitten through several plastic mouthpieces, I'd say keep trying all the suggestions until you've found the one for YOUR mouth! Dry mouth: most important for many reasons, drink as much water before a dive as possible. Once I started this I enjoyed diving even more. Some folks would laugh as I'm chugging from my water bottle seconds before the back roll from a dinghy, but it works. (I use the water bottles with a sports top) Also, slipping a large wintergreen lifesaver between gum and cheek right before a dive works for me...but be careful not to swallow it. Good Luck! VJH

I also agree with the sea cure mouthpiece.. I thought they were just a bunch of hype when I first looked at them, but after trying one myself.... I would not have another mouthpiece. I was a little odd boiling the end of the mouthpiece to soften it, but if you do what the instruction tell you it will be fine. Remember to mold the edges of the mouthpiece around your gum line... I almost had to reboil mine because I forgot to press against my gums to form it around it. If you did it right, it will fit better than a glove. Here is a link for he Apollo Bio-filter.

Click here ---->[red]Bio-Filter[/red]

While I am a new diver, I too noticed a little rubbing irritated my gums. I have the comfogrip mouth piece on my reg and it is comfortable. I did have to twist my tank a little to the right to aid in positioning the mouthpiece squarely on my mouth. After the tank twist - (about 2 inches) the irritation disappeared! This might be a more simple solution than altering the length of the hose.

The comfo-bite mouthpieces from Aqualung work well, neither my wife or myself have ever had a problem.

Another vote for comfo-bite.

When diving in freshwater, I combat dry mouth by relaxing my lips on the mouthpiece and letting some ambient water seep in. If your 2nd has a Venturi assist, then setting it to minus may also help with drymouth.

Mike

davisdiver:
I have over 100 dives under my belt and I have always had this problem with regulators regardless or make and model. They make my gums hurt. They are uncomfortable to clench in my teeth and they are generally a pain all around. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions for how to make diving fun w/o the frustrating mouth issues? I also get dry mouth from my regs. I tried the Mares with the metal inserts that collect condensation from your breath and that helped for awile, but it's not a completely satisifactory remedy. I love diving except for these problems. Please give me any advice you can.

I use the comfo-bite on all my regs. Here is a link to the original from the factory mouthpiece. Ive bought them elsewhere but they are different from the origs.

http://www.scubastore.com/home.asp

I will go along with you Powell. I have found that letting some water in around my lips helps almost completely.

I also try to drink lots of water during a dive too.

You might try a swivel mount for your mouthpiece for the jaw fatigue. Atomic Aquatics has some regs that have this option and they have also come out with a universal hose you can put on about any reg out there. I'm getting one for my Legend LX and my daughter's Titan LX.

We have both been comfortable with the Sherwood Wisdom mouthpiece. Alos have hear a lot of goo stuff about the Seacure.

The Blizzard helps with the drymouth but I still catch it at times.
* Think of a food you like to get saliva flowing,
* Remove your second stage and irrigate your moth with saliva
* Replace the second stageior thake the oportunity to take your alternate for a test swim.
* Works really well.

Being well hydrated and breathing easy will help. If you pay attention before drying ot badly thinking of the yummy food will abate the dryness before it takes hold.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom