Regulator annual service costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cryhumour:
I know I can do the regs myself. There are a couple hurdles I have though...

Where do I get a service manual or parts blow-up?

Where do I get the parts?

Where do I get the acid?

Dano
If you need a blowup and don't know where to get the secret sauce, what makes you convince that you can so easily do it yourself. Also why may I ask are you odjected to paying a trained professional to do it for you? Don't get me wrong, I don't class myself as a rocket scientist but it is when people think that things are alot easier than they really are that things go wrong. What about a calibration device? Specialty tools? ultrasonic cleaner? o-ring grease? There is alot more to this than what meets the eye.

As for my piece on the original thread question... $60 CANADIAN is the going rate here. And that is quality service.

trash_collector:
What is the typical cost of annual service for regulators? My LDS quoted me $35 for each stage plus parts. For my primary 2nd stage, octopus, and first stage, I was quoted $125. Does this sound right for simple annual preventive service of regulators that are well cared for and in good condition? Thanks.

Well, I think you should consider "you get what you paid for" (sometimes anyway). But I would hope that this was more than just a service (more like a complete rebuild and testing).

Having said that, it really depends on what level of service you are getting. My LDS charges $15 per stage plus parts. Why so "cheap". Because while they do a good job, it's not the most thurough job that can be done. Don't get me wrong. They do the job right, but they don't go as far as others I've seen. And it typically only takes them ~ 1 hour and 15 min. for all three stages (assuming an octo). Some more and some less due to the designs, but that's about right. Considering their overhead, I think they are too low, but when I asked the guy who trained me on reg servicing, he told me that it's more of a way to keep their customers than as a significant profit center.

rescuediver009:
If you need a blowup and don't know where to get the secret sauce, what makes you convince that you can so easily do it yourself. Also why may I ask are you odjected to paying a trained professional to do it for you? Don't get me wrong, I don't class myself as a rocket scientist but it is when people think that things are alot easier than they really are that things go wrong. What about a calibration device? Specialty tools? ultrasonic cleaner? o-ring grease? There is alot more to this than what meets the eye.

As for my piece on the original thread question... $60 CANADIAN is the going rate here. And that is quality service.
Well, I have been trained and certified as a repair technician. I have been certified as a NAUI instructor too. I have been working more than ten years as an automobile technician and diving for more than six. I have been out of the loop for a bit and I just need a little info on getting the supplies to fix my gear. Special tools? Secret sauce? That is what I asked for. Show me the book and I'll make it work. I'll do it with or without the parts blow-up... but I'd sure like to see it :wink: I have already done my primary 2nd once before. Thanks again!

Dano

My Apologies good sir, I hope you understand I was assuming you possessed the mentality that most feel that this is a task that requires minimal skill and/or training. Perhaps the thought of a trained technician preferring blow-ups (nothing wron with that) will give others trying to do it themselves quick cheap and easy a second thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom