Regulator annual service costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
What is the typical cost of annual service for regulators? My LDS quoted me $35 for each stage plus parts. For my primary 2nd stage, octopus, and first stage, I was quoted $125. Does this sound right for simple annual preventive service of regulators that are well cared for and in good condition? Thanks.

Click the "search" button at the top of the page.

For the search string, put in "service"

In the search options, under "Search forum" select "Regulators" and "Search Titles only"

40 hits, a couple which address your specific question.

Roak

But, IMHO, not out of line for a good thorough service. You can probably find service for half that price, but I doubt if it would be as thorough, if that is what you need. The problem is the guy with the high priced underhaul - and for most customers, it would be hard to tell. Did he really clean and inspect each part? Were the minor deposits removed so they don't continue to build up and cause problems years down the road? Or did he just slap in a parts kit knowing that will get thru another year 95% of the time. Or did he just take it into the back room, give it a checkover and a squirt of silicon so it looks pretty and tell you to bring it back if you have any problem in the next year & they'll fix free? Not that a checkover is always inappropriate, but it is not an "annual service" and shouldn't cost more than $20.00.

Same question came up the other day on the Rodale's board.

My shop charges $20 per stage for a setup bought elsewhere. They charge $14 per stage if you bought it there. So my recent annual service on a Scubapro MK-20/G-250/R-190 cost $42 at Atlantic Edge Dive Shop in Gaithersburg, MD, where I bought the rig. Parts are extra, unless, of course, it's Scubapro, then they are free. Shop around.

cannot possibly include a thorough tear-down, cleaning and inspection. No way.

I've yet to annual one of mine that didn't have SOMETHING that needed to be cleaned up inside.

The LDS here charges $20.00 a stage. The regs are completely disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, the parts replaced, reassembled, adjusted and tested. I know because I'm the one who services many of them. I think $20.00 is reasonable and I would feel ripped off if I was charged much more than that.

using Diver Dan's Wet Pleasure of Santa Clara, California

Labor, 1st stage: $30
Labor, 2nd stage: $20 each

Atomics B1 1st stage parts: $25
2nd stage parts: $15
Dacor Viper octo parts: $13

While cleaning and checking everything he noticed that the spool on SPG was pitted (although not yet leaking). $5 to replace.

The only charge that was unusually steep is the $22 for changing out the cristo lube in the environmental sealing kit.

Turnaround time is Wednesday to Wednesday, since the reg tech is a freelancer than lives in Santa Cruz. Service includes a complete teardown and ultrasonic cleaning. I get a baggy with all the old parts ---- I use the o-rings as breakaway connections on gear.

isn't all THAT high.

Christolube is expensive stuff. 2 oz is about $20, and I can believe that at least half of that would be required for an environmental kit.

I just paid 76.00 for complete overhaul of my older MK20 G250 with Viton O rings and Christo Lube for nitrox. My newer MK 20 G250Hp was a little more, like 100.00. So, while not really out of line, 125.00 is on the high side. I'd call around to other LDS and ask for quotes, just to see what the avg charge is. But..if you like and trust your LDS, and know they do quality work..this is LIFE SUPPORT equipment after all..DSAO :). ZG.

200 bucks for 2 Sherwood Oasis and 2 octo+.

So worked out to about 50 bucks each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom