Regulator and bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys! Yes I'm talking about the Hogarthian rig! Sorry about that! As for the back up reg I will use bungee but for the primary reg (with long hose) how do I rig it so that the hose is not in the way?
I'm sorry about all the confusion...

Thanks!

Alex

Are you talking about while you're diving or when it's not in your mouth? While you're diving, you have it routed down your right side, under your can light (or your knife, or a pocket, or stuffed in your waist strap if you've got no other choice), up across your chest, behind your head, and into your mouth.

Likewise, if you do not have it in your mouth (and you do not have it in your buddy's mouth), it should be bolt snapped to your right chest d-ring. As luck would have it, there's a thread going on right now about where to attach that bolt snap to your primary reg - check it out HERE.

When I'm setting up my rig, I bolt snap my primary reg to my right d-ring right away, so I don't have it falling on the ground, getting stepped on, etc. I do the same when I'm not wearing the rig if it's on the boat or in the parking lot - if the primary regulator is not in my mouth (or my buddy's) it's snapped to the right chest d-ring, whether I'm in it or not.

Hope that answered your questions!

Thanks guys! Yes I'm talking about the Hogarthian rig! Sorry about that! As for the back up reg I will use bungee but for the primary reg (with long hose) how do I rig it so that the hose is not in the way?

Thanks!

Alex

Alex,

BAUE has some great images of DIR gear config. You can also check out GUE's equipment page. TS&M's post above describes how you should use a bolt snap to secure the long hose.

As for setting the gear up, I strongly suggest getting in touch with an experienced DIR diver in your area to help get you squared away - doing so will save you from making common mistakes and will also help you learn how the setup works.

Diving a long hose with bungeed backup is pretty easy, but there are little tricks and do's-and-don'ts which WILL trip you up when you're first starting out, sometimes in not-so-safe fashion. Before going off and diving it on your own, you should really be familiar with how to properly route the long hose, how to donate the long hose and go to your backup, how not to trap the long hose by getting the setup order wrong, how to perform a mod-S drill before getting in the water, etc.

These are all small things that can nevertheless lead to unnecessary stress or additional problems if you get them wrong; but they're really trivial once you have a few minutes playing with the setup and working issues out with someone else.

In short, I don't think it's a great idea to just setup the long hose by yourself and immediately head off to a dive trip. Before doing so, just take an hour or two on one day or evening, get in touch with an experienced hog diver, and have him show you the ropes. You'll be more confident with the long hose and much safer to boot.

Thanks!

Alex

The long hose comes from your right, down, crosses in front of your body, behind your head and then to your mouth, don't know if I explained well, so take a look in the picture.

I put the bolt snap using a tireup aroud the hose and an O-ring holding the bolt snap, so if in a emergency the bolt snap jam, I can pull it stronger, the O-ring breakes and I can retrieve the reg (although I adjust the bolt snap distance from the second stage in a way I can breath from it without unclipping)

Also, take a look here... Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

Attachments

• can holding long hose.jpg
    can holding long hose.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 36
  • setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 35
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom