Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

My partner is getting OW certified and I am planning to give her my MK11/S555 setup and get a new set for myself :)

Reason being I may be interested in doing some tech diving maybe in a few years time and I could save some equipment costs this way. I was looking at the Scubapro MK17/A700 setup and was wondering if that would be sufficient for Tech / Cave / Ice diving? I might want to try Ice diving in the future and was hoping I could just use the same reg?

Also I suppose I should get it in a DIN configuration instead as I was told DIN is preferred for Tech? I would probably just get a converter since most single tank setup here are yoke.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Yes, it's definitely sufficient, probably one of the best choices for cold water. I would get yoke if you're going to be diving mostly yoke tanks with it. The adapters really put the reg close to your head. You can just buy a DIN fitting and exchange the yoke for the DIN when you move to using DIN tanks in your tech diving. You'll also need a set of regs for doubles; you can swap things around but the easiest thing is just to bite the bullet and get a single tank reg set and a pair for doubles which would be DIN. It's a lot of regulators but if you're serious about technical diving that's the least of your expenses. You'll have to get the doubles, some stages, a drysuit if you don't already have one, a couple of backplates and at least two wings (one for single, one for doubles) and then go light shopping. Believe me you'll forget all about the money on the regs.

I have the Mk25 A700 and they are fantastic in ice.

Thanks all for your advice.

halocline, I was hopeing I could get tech equipment piece by piece so I won't have a huge initial outlay when I am finally ready for it. That's why I thought I'd get the reg now, since my partner will have to get one anyway, could save a few bucks this way.

So you're telling me a yoke reg can be converted to a DIN?? I didn't know that was possible

[SMV][/SMV]Scubapro first stages can be converted from yoke to DIN using their universal DIN kit. This replaces the yoke retainer with a DIN fitting and they sell for about $55.

----

The A700 is a great second stage but it would not be my first choice for technical diving. The cover is retained by 4 screws. The first issue is that quite frankly it just screams "dissimilar metal corrosion" and unlike the older R109s where you could replace the bands, with the A700 however, it's the case itself that will be damaged. The second and more relevant issue is that the cover of the G250V can be readily removed (under water even if need be) to clean crud, gravel etc out of the second stage and in some technical diving you can easily get stuff in there. The A700 is not very friendly in that regard and would require special tools to remove the screws, which would then have to be well lubricated (to prevent corrosion with the brass case) and properly torqued - not something very amenable to maintenance on the boat or at a remote cave diving site.

I am not a fan of the MK 25. The sealed MK 17 is superior in cold water and it offers more performance than any other diaphragm reg currently available (225 scfm). The MK 25 does have more flow rate at 300 scfm, but it's flow rate that is so over the top that it is of absolutely no use.

[SMV][/SMV]Scubapro first stages can be converted from yoke to DIN using their universal DIN kit. This replaces the yoke retainer with a DIN fitting and they sell for about $55.

----

The A700 is a great second stage but it would not be my first choice for technical diving. The cover is retained by 4 screws. The first issue is that quite frankly it just screams "dissimilar metal corrosion" and unlike the older R109s where you could replace the bands, with the A700 however, it's the case itself that will be damaged. The second and more relevant issue is that the cover of the G250V can be readily removed (under water even if need be) to clean crud, gravel etc out of the second stage and in some technical diving you can easily get stuff in there. The A700 is not very friendly in that regard and would require special tools to remove the screws, which would then have to be well lubricated (to prevent corrosion with the brass case) and properly torqued - not something very amenable to maintenance on the boat or at a remote cave diving site.

I am not a fan of the MK 25. The sealed MK 17 is superior in cold water and it offers more performance than any other diaphragm reg currently available (225 scfm). The MK 25 does have more flow rate at 300 scfm, but it's flow rate that is so over the top that it is of absolutely no use.

Please forgive me if I am way off, I am trying to learn more about regulators and you seem to know what you're talking about. I thought the flow rate once at a certain level was not so important as the 2nd stage was the limiting factor?

"Directional Toast" that's funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPH
Yes, the limiting factor in terms of flow rate is the second stage. As long as the first stage flows enough gas to prevent an excessive drop in IP it's good to go. Generally speaking anything over about 110 sc is usually good to go and 150scfm is great.

Thanks all for your advice.

halocline, I was hopeing I could get tech equipment piece by piece so I won't have a huge initial outlay when I am finally ready for it. That's why I thought I'd get the reg now, since my partner will have to get one anyway, could save a few bucks this way.

So you're telling me a yoke reg can be converted to a DIN?? I didn't know that was possible

Sure, you can buy the reg now, then convert it to DIN when it goes in your tech rig. Your regulator configuration for the tech diving you do will in part be determined by the courses you take and the instructor you work with. My point is, eventually you'll be spending a fortune and have lots of regulators. If you're looking to save money, I'd strongly consider getting good at buying used regulators.

DA is, of course, correct that the G250V would be a preferred technical diving 2nd stage, but I was thinking that the A700 might be ideal for ice diving, as I suspect that the heat transfer properties would be fantastic. If it were me I'd buy the older 2nd stages; original G250 for your tech/cave diving and a balanced/adjustable (or converted 109) for ice diving. But, I like my regulators cheap and old. (I'm not saying anything about my taste in women...)

Two years now with the A700 and no corrosion problems from salt water diving.
Look after your equipment and it will look after you.

Sorry for the late response, been busy lately. Thank you everyone for your advice and tips.

I only wanted to try ice diving maybe once or twice if I travel, it's not cold enough here for that... unfortunately I'd say, looks like a lot of fun :)

Will definitely go with the MK17 yoke and DIN convert it later on. Might lean towards the G250V for now, since superior heat transfer performance won't be critical for me.

My partner is scheduled for her course in November when it warms up a bit... She doesn't know my evil plans yet :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom