Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpartanDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to purchase a primary regulator 1st and second stage. I'll be doing much of my diving in cold water, thus it must be environmentally sealed and a solid performer in the cold at depth. I have been told that Apeks XTX200 regulators are excellent in this regard. My question is, what are the other top performers that are comparable to Apeks?

Opinions?

I think the Scubapro Mk 17 is a better first stage. The G250V is also a better second stage.

This should spur great debate.

I will provide no real input but let you know what I have. Research for yourself and listen to others opinions. And yes the Apeks line is very good, I have some of the models made for other companies.

Poseidon 1sts with xtreme(s) green
Poseidon 1sts with jetstream(s)
Poseidon 1sts with Cyklon(s)
Scubapro MK25(s) with X650(s)
Apeks 1st with Zeagle ZD and Tech50D

All have been below recreational limits, some down to 300+ fsw. Apex and poseidon/jetstreams have been in water as cold as 44 F. Again no problems with either.

All work fine. Kids have taken my Jetstreams as their primaries now that they are certified. Those were my primary tech regs for deep diving before the xtremes.

Hope any of this helps.

Now the rest of you, please give this man some feedback.

Any of the sealed diaphragm Zeagles would be in that class, with the Zeagle Flathead VI being my first choice for performance, and the Zeagle DSV being my first choice for dollar value.

I'm looking to purchase a primary regulator 1st and second stage. I'll be doing much of my diving in cold water, thus it must be environmentally sealed and a solid performer in the cold at depth. I have been told that Apeks XTX200 regulators are excellent in this regard. My question is, what are the other top performers that are comparable to Apeks?

Opinions?

You should also check out the Atomic regulators.

IMO...best of the best:
Atomic (Huntington Beach, CA)
Apex (English. Most all the cold water folks in EU dive them)
Scubapro (Near San Diego, CA)
Zeagle & Diverite

I live in HB, CA (Atomic BA-BY!). Most any of today's regs will work so well that I think service and other features like weight, comfort, etc. are deciding factors.

I dive Atomic because the factory is very near and service is excellent. Try finding Apex service in NJ.

Thank you for the replies thus far.

Is there a specific Atomic that you would recommend?

I believe you can 'seal' any Atomics 1st stage (they use Christolube) but the M1 comes "out of the box" environmentally sealed for cold water diving.

Cheers.

-J.-

Thank you for the replies thus far.

Is there a specific Atomic that you would recommend?

You can get a Z2 setup from LP for $415. The M1 is on sale for $500 and is made for cold water/tech type diving with an env. sealed first stage.

I don't think you can beat that without a significant compromise in performance. Keep in mind; Atomics require service every TWO years, not ONE year as with most others. This means you'll save ~$100 after the first year (no, I don't work for them or any other equipment seller).

How ya gonna beat that:wink:?

Back
Top Bottom