Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldsmoke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I have rencently become interested in learning more about DIR. I also happen to be in the market for a new regulator. I would some advice as to what regulators to look at in case the future holds dir diving for me. Thanks in advance.

Hunter

coldsmoke:
Hi All,

I have rencently become interested in learning more about DIR. I also happen to be in the market for a new regulator. I would some advice as to what regulators to look at in case the future holds dir diving for me. Thanks in advance.

Hunter

In GUE's Dress for Success, Dan MacKay mentioned that "Scubapro MK25/G250HP (piston) and Apeks DS4/ATX50 (diaphram) are excellent high performance choices with proven track records. You should select second stages that are designed to allow easy access to the diapharm so that they can be dissembled without tools to clear debris if necessary."

He notes that there are many good regs to choose from though and the main concerns are that it not have an unbalanced first stage and that it can be easily configured. Also DIN is preferred to IST/Yoke.

In addition, you might want to ask if the seller can include a long hose (7 ft.) with it instead of the default hose and either 22" or 24" hose for the backup.

I think I've seen similar thread in this section before, so if you do a search you'll probably find more suggestions.

Above is a good direction you should look into. Scubapro and Apeks are reg. makes lots of people look into. But NOT limited to these.

Posiden Cycon 300.

Thalassamania:
Posiden Cycon 300.
He's kidding, of course.

The main reason Poseidon regs are not DIR is the second stage diaphragm cover requires tools to be removed, and also, the upstream design. The failure mode is a complete shutdown to the second stage, as opposed to failing open.

Aw gee Rick, ... can't have any fun any more.

Thalassamania:
Aw gee Rick, ... can't have any fun any more.
Every time you post, I have fun! :D :D

Rick Inman:
and also, the upstream design. The failure mode is a complete shutdown to the second stage, as opposed to failing open.

I don't have posiden regs, but people who do have them have told me this is an old wives tale. Maybe years (decades?) ago they failed closed, but apparently no longer. Can anyone who actually dives/services these things confirm or deny?

Scubapro's have very nice hose routing and I'm very happy with my mk20/25s on doubles.

Most any reg at all will work fine on singles, I happen to have a Mares Rebel, a POS but it works fine down to 100ft which is the deepest I'm going on a single anyway. It was a trade-in for a Dacor.

rjack321:
I don't have posiden regs, but people who do have them have told me this is an old wives tale. Maybe years (decades?) ago they failed closed, but apparently no longer.
He mentioned the Cycon 300. It fails closed.

That's why I was that specific<G>. The current ones do not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom