Regulator 2nd stage servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open Ocean Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Was wondering... my buddy had her regulator serviced about 3 months ago, she may have 10 dive on it. Today shes diving and her regulator started to free flowing at the surface, boat crew couldn’t fix it so they gave her a loaner so she enjoyed the rest of hers dives. She dropped by a dive shop and they said she needed to replace the poppet so she did. Question should this of been detected during her last service? When does the poppet usually get replaced? Thankfully there was a dive shop near by.

thanks in advance for your replies.

Kevin

poppets are replaced at service and it is exceptionally rare for them to fail, especially this soon. Second stage poppets going 5yrs/1000+ dives is pretty normal life for them. If it was the poppet, it was likely a manufacturing defect or an error made by the tech during service

poppets are replaced at service and it is exceptionally rare for them to fail, especially this soon. Second stage poppets going 5yrs/1000+ dives is pretty normal life for them. If it was the poppet, it was likely a manufacturing defect or an error made by the tech during service
When do they decide to replace after a particular test or ever annual service?

There may be a miscommunication with terminology here. Yes, the poppet seat is replaced with each service. But they may be telling you the poppet that holds the seat, and is rarely if ever replaced, is the source of the problem. Do you know what 2nd stage? May even have been an item that was supposed to be replaced per a recall or service bulletin.

There may be a miscommunication with terminology here. Yes, the poppet seat is replaced with each service. But they may be telling you the poppet that holds the seat, and is rarely if ever replaced, is the source of the problem. Do you know what 2nd stage? May even have been an item that was supposed to be replaced per a recall or service bulletin.
Aqualung Titan, it’s about 7 years old... She’s away diving right now but sent a picture of the complete poppet they replaced seat and all. What could go wrong with the poppet itself?

Aqualung Titan, it’s about 7 years old... She’s away diving right now but sent a picture of the complete poppet they replaced seat and all. What could go wrong with the poppet itself?
Usually nothing goes wrong. Can you post the photo?
Reasons I might find for replacement is if it was bent, had stripped threads, or was too corroded to clean up. No service bulletins for a 7 year old Titan.

Reasons I might find for replacement is if it was bent, had stripped threads, or was too corroded to clean up. No service bulletins for a 7 year old Titan.
ok thanks, I’ll have her send me one and I’ll post later today.

never seen anything like this... looks like it made of cork. Lol

upload_2019-11-2_20-4-41.jpeg

upload_2019-11-2_20-5-21.jpeg

That is not a poppet, it is the balance chamber. Perhaps a Titan LX, but definitely not a Titan. It is hard plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom