Regular with a longer then normal service interval?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always thought it somewhat of a scam for the certification agencies to not teach and demand training in the use of an ip gauge. People spend over $1000 for a computer that has ( in my opinion) marginal incremental value over a cheap one, for a rec diver. yet people aren’t made aware of the utility and potential increase in safety that could be derived from an additional $20 for the device. Perhaps it is because the shops fear a reduction on service fees? The marginal utility of having the ability to check regulators before a big trip is huge.

What's to train?

Attach the IP gauge to your inflator hose and open a valve; but, as already mentioned on another thread, just the use of an IP gauge is all-but useless unless you can both recognize the significance of a reading and / or are capable of safely "tuning" or "detuning" regulators, as the case might be, should those numbers be off.

What otherwise would be the point?

That's way beyond the purview of any OW course, off in the land of @rsingler -- and well beyond what any scuba rental fleet would ever allow, in terms of futzing with their gear . . .

What's to train?

Attach the gauge to your inflator hose and open a valve; but, as already mentioned on another thread, use of an IP gauge is all-but useless and presupposes that you can both recognize the significance of a reading and / or are even capable of safely "tuning" or "detuning" regulators, should those numbers be off.

What would otherwise be the point?

That's way beyond the purview of any OW course, off in the land of @rsingler -- and well beyond what any scuba rental fleet will ever allow, in terms of futzing with their gear . . .
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious... Even if the OW diver did not know or remember the exact target IP of the regulator they have in their hands, the gauge could/would detect significant creep (or drift or whatever the proper terminology is), which is the likely precursor to real problems anyway.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious... Even if the OW diver did not know or remember the exact target IP of the regulator they have in their hands, the gauge could/would detect significant creep (or drift or whatever the proper terminology is), which is the likely precursor to real problems anyway.
What I don't care for are half-measures.

Sure, you can see whether there may be a creeping IP; but, in a sense, it is akin to reading a tire pressure gauge yet still being incapable of changing a tire . . .

Sure, you can see whether there may be a creeping IP; but, in a sense, it is akin to reading a tire pressure gauge yet still being incapable of changing a tire . . .
So you are being serious...If the wife checks the tire and sees the pressure is low, she can fill it or not drive it, both are better options than nothing.

Do you need to know how to change the head gaskets, if you just want to check the oil level (and maybe look for some white foam).

Do you need to know how to change the head gaskets, if you just want to check the oil level (and maybe look for some white foam).
It doesn't hurt; I replaced mine last month . . .

The first time that I saw a regulator I wanted to disassemble it.

Years ago, when I worked boats, I began to see more and more IP gauges, and guys fiddling with them, ever so seriously. When I asked them, jokingly, whether they even knew what the numbers meant; or whether the readings were even appropriate for their specific brand of equipment, the lion's share of them openly admitted that they did not really know; that it was, basically, just an impressive prop in their save-a-dive kit . . .

Compulsory shopper.
There are so many unused items on sale everywhere. At least they have the decency to get rid of them instead of keeping them in the garage etc etc or straight to trash.

It doesn't hurt; I replaced mine last month . . .

The first time that I saw a regulator I wanted to disassemble it.

Years ago, when I worked boats, I began to see more and more IP gauges, and guys fiddling with them, ever so seriously. When I asked them, jokingly, whether they even knew what the numbers meant; or whether the readings were even appropriate for their specific brand of equipment, the lion's share of them openly admitted that they did not really know; that it was, basically, just an impressive prop in their save-a-dive kit . . .

Did you attempt or have the time to educate? Cheers.

Ok so this may sound like a odd question, I have an Aqualung Legend 1st/2nd Stage and Octo and I haven't been diving in 3 years yet I've paid about $350 in that time for service (1 function test, 2 rebuilds) to keep my regulator in warranty from Aqualung with free parts.

If I don't plan on diving a lot is it worth just buying a different regulator with a longer interval on service? Or is it worth not keeping up with the service and just pay for the parts when I do have it serviced (not sure what the cost of the part kit is).
Or just forget all of the servicing and just dive the regulator. It does not need to be serviced every two years and especially if since the last service it has sat in a closet. The facts are that the ACD equipped Legend can go at least a decade without service, maybe longer. Carry a spare to share between you and SO on a trip. For all the money spent overhauling your regs you could purchase several spares.

If an AL Conshelf 1085 second stage were to be mated with a new ACD equipped Core/Helix first stage the result might be able to go two decades or more without service, well, maybe replace the second stage poppet once or so every ten years. The available Scubapro Mark II Evo and R195 (former R190) combo might give the aforementioned time warp combo a run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom