Regular mask strap vs trident soft strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with snorkeling using the trident neoprene soft strap vs snorkeling using a regular strap that comes with the mask. Is one more secure than the other? It seems like the snorkel is not staying on well with the soft strap.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

We have. You have to make sure that you attach the snorkel to both of the nylon straps that attach to the mask. If you attach it to only one of the pieces, the snorkel will flop all over the place, as evidenced by my wife's testing protocol last week. :blinking:

We use snorkels that have clips for attaching to the mask, instead of the older rubber loop type attachment. I don't think that system will work as well either.

I don't have a trident soft strap, but I have an oceanic mask and all their masks have neoprene straps. The main reason for them isn't that one is more secure than the other, it's comfort. The neoprene doesn't tug on hair like rubber can, so it goes on and off a lot easier. If you're having trouble with the snorkel staying on, maybe try a different snorkel clip.

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with snorkeling using the trident neoprene soft strap vs snorkeling using a regular strap that comes with the mask. Is one more secure than the other? It seems like the snorkel is not staying on well with the soft strap.
Are you using a snorkel keeper like these (Innovative Scuba Concepts brand):
Rubber_SnorkelKeeper.jpg
(For those who haven't used one before, the snorkel goes through both holes in the keeper, making a capital letter "D" with the snorkel as the straight part and the keeper as the round part. The round part of the "D" goes around the mask strap with the snorkel on the outside.)

I've found the keepers to be quite secure, both in how they feel while snorkeling and the distinct lack of said keepers among the myriad snorkels I've picked up off the bottom (all of which had clips of some kind or another). The neoprene keepers like these feel more stable than the rubber ring ones, and they don't pull the hair off the side of your head. As a long-haired diver, neoprene straps and snorkel keepers are the best thing since... um... well, since small beanie hoods (to keep said hair out of my mask seal). :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom