Regular diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Ber Rabbit
You say you're racking up student loan debt, are you at a university? Does the university offer scuba classes?

I'm at the UW, but my program schedule doesn't allow me any extra time to take other classes. Everything is very structured and "set"...but it is a good idea. Maybe I'll look into a community college when I graduate, if I can't find a dive shop I like. Thanks!

How far would it be for you (and maybe friends) to drive to Homestead Utah? We're going there in May from Colorado - will be about a 7-hour drive for us I think. The water is 90 degrees, even when there's snow all around, because it's in a hot spring cavern.

KoralKat

Originally posted by watergirl
Can you rent time in a pool or LDS for practice? Pardon the "newbie questions", but I just would like to know what I need to do to keep my skills sharp and safe for diving.

Watergirl

My LDS has a heated indoor pool in which it does all its training. All customers and students have unlimited access to use the pool to refine thier skills, or to just horse around. In fact, I could head over there right now and take a dip if I wanted to. The only restriction is when the pool is already being used for classes or other activities.

I took my OW course with the LDS rental gear, and will be taking my AOW course there in about 1 1/2 months. I will be using my own new gear (much of which I havent dove with yet), so I'll probably go for a few dives before my class dates just to get used to the gear!

Check with your LDS to see if they offer this perk before you sign up for classes. Good luck!!

Originally posted by KoralKat
How far would it be for you (and maybe friends) to drive to Homestead Utah?
KoralKat

KoralKat:
I'll be up to my eyeballs in my research at that time, and I have yet to take classes. Enjoy your warm water trip!

Watergirl

I'm going there in May - will let you know if it's open year-round. Good luck with your research!

KoralKat

KoralKat - I'm pretty sure that Homestead Crater is open Year-round. I'm heading out there in less than two weeks for my open water dives. Sounds a lot more inviting than Blue Hole, NM this time of year or the other local dives any other time of year. Check out the web site at http://www.homesteadresort.com/leisure/crater.html

Wish me luck on the OW dives, and I'll let you know what it's like in two weeks!!!!!:D

Franz,

What dive shop are you going out there with?

We're going out in May (18th & 19th I believe) for our AOW certs.
Are you driving out, flying out, or is your shop providing transportation? Where are you staying?

We're taking the class through Flatirons Scuba in Westminster on 120th & Sheridan), and they recommended the Swiss Alps hotel - has a really good price & decent rooms, supposedly.

Yeah, the Blue Hole in NM has water that's about 40 degrees right now. I'd much prefer diving in 90!

Good luck & have fun on your dives!
Do write back with all your trip info.

KoralKat

I was looking at this thread and didn't seem anyone mention how to travel cheaply for diving. I don't know where the central repository of information on dive volunteering is....but I bet someone else on this list does.

There are acheological projects who look for volunteers...a friend of mine who is not a very confident diver...considers herself only adequate got to dive in the caribbean for free...very cheap housing...reduced air fare and free food in exchange for holding one end of the tape measure for measuing site.

I saw a request on the net for divers to help stack tires underwatere to build an artificial reef in Costa Rica...it appeared they were offering free housing and diving and I know food in Costa Rica is cheap and good. I'll bet there are other opportunities out there where you volunteer some time and the diving comes free or really cheap so as not to impact your student loans.

My daughter and I are volunteering for the Cozumel Humane Society this summer. If you want to dive warm water...there are ways.:idea:

KoralKat,
The dive shop that I've been going through is "Underwater Phantaseas" over in Lakewood (Union Blvd.) Transportation is considered on your own but they do have a few spaces in the van that a person could pay for and ride with them. They also recommended Swiss Alps Inn for the same reasons (nice & price). I'm actually staying at Bear Mountain Chalet, which is a few blocks away (just because I called too late). I'm driving out this Friday afternoon and we meet 5am (yuk!) on Saturday. To make the trip even more interesting I'm going to stay out there an extra day and go skiing on Monday. Deer Valley (and others) are just down the road. Should be a great weekend to get certified, as long as I don't drown or hit a tree.:google:

Franz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom