Regs vs. TRIMIX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaxris:
So you point is what?

Being a actual chemist (but never played one on tv) this thread is really funny. Thanks for the laughs guys...its been a slow day
-Chrsitopher
So why don't you as an actual chemist set the record straight instead of just laughing:06:

jiml:
Helium is inert. Nitrogen is not inert. How do you think you can have so much fun at the dentist? As to your original question, I haven't a clue.

Nitrogen in the atomic version of N is not inert.

Nitrogen in the molecular version of N2 is for all PRACTICAL purposes (to include diving and compressed air tanks) INERT.

All (well, 99.99999%) of atmospheric, and hence compressed air, is in the version of N2.

Therefore, NITROGEN IN THE SCUBA TANKS IS INERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

(If you would have paid attention in Chem 101, or even HS Chem, you would know this . . . .)

PS, I am a chemist.

Sorry been gone for a while... What I really meant by using Helium in the Trimix regs is that you have to service them more regular. The reason behind is not the Helium deterioration but the Oxygen. Oxygen eats up the seals ansd seats. Helium being a smalles molecules then finds way to pass and creates problems. Yes Helium is non reactive to the materials. My prior post was not very clear and just retarded......... Thanks guys for clearing it out!

T

webediving:
Sorry been gone for a while... What I really meant by using Helium in the Trimix regs is that you have to service them more regular. The reason behind is not the Helium deterioration but the Oxygen. Oxygen eats up the seals ansd seats. Helium being a smalles molecules then finds way to pass and creates problems. Yes Helium is non reactive to the materials. My prior post was not very clear and just retarded......... Thanks guys for clearing it out!

T
OK so I think I got it now, less oxygen in trimix = less servicing. OK thanks.:06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom