Regs or BCD first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regs first. More universal, personalized to you, known working condition etc. It's a lot easier to deal with annoying BCD stuff than it is with regs.

I would not recommend buying anything from OMS as an FYI

So I’ve often wondered about this. I feel like you can rent a decent reg set from an op but you’re guaranteed to get different bcd’s Every time. If you’re a new diver and you’re struggling with buoyancy, wouldn’t it be better to have your own bcd so they you can get used to it?

a bad experience with some rental sherwood regulators convinced me to buy my first set of apeks regs.

So I’ve often wondered about this. I feel like you can rent a decent reg set from an op but you’re guaranteed to get different bcd’s Every time. If you’re a new diver and you’re struggling with buoyancy, wouldn’t it be better to have your own bcd so they you can get used to it?

I haven't read the last couple pages and typically don't unless I'm tagged, but sort of. The problem with a reg set is you don't always know if it's decent. Is the mouthpiece comfortable? Does the exhaust valve leak? Is the cracking effort set stiff so it doesn't freeflow? Are the hose lengths comfortable? etc etc. A bad regulator can ruin diving for someone, so the consequences of getting a bad one are pretty severe.
A bcd is a bcd, sure some aren't going to be physically as comfortable, some will have dump valves in weird places, but the consequences of a bad bcd are much less severe and most rental bc's are all about the same anyway. If I have to rent something somewhere and can't take a full rig, I will take a regulator long before I take a BCD. Ideally I take both and with BCD's as cheap as they are for good ones, the ROI is pretty quick, but I think the benefits of a good regulator vs the consequences of a bad one are much worse than that with a BCD. Even as an experienced diver, that logic holds true. I will call a dive for a bad regulator, it's just not worth diving when you're miserable. Diving with a bad fitting bcd is just annoying.

Everyone is different and there are no set rules on gear purchases. For me I bought a 3mm full length wetsuit. I did my O/W in a shorty wetsuit. Hated it and couldn't find one that fit right. About a year later I bought a BCD and shortly thereafter my regs. Earlier this year I bought a DC. I'm done. For now. My only advice is to make sure you buy something that is not full list price. Ask for a discount from the LDS or buy online or buy used from someone that you can trust. Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom