Regs or BCD first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get regs first then then you might have an inflator hose incompatibility and have to swap out. Also if you should decide on a BCD with it's own regulator you won't need the octopus that comes with your regulator set.

If you can't afford to buy both then buy cheaper and used and match them up. Nothing wrong with good, serviceable dive gear but you might need to run it by a tech before using it.

Hi,

I'm relatively new to diving (OWD, done ~ 25 dives) and am living in Germany.
Next year, I want to go on vacation in Croatia and dive there.
I'm not sure wheter to buy a reg or BCD first, especially since I'm going to fly to Croatia by plane.

I mostly dive at home (water temperature above 12 degrees C) but am looking forward to go diving on vacation.

I already have exposure protection, some safety equipment, fins, mask and a dive computer.

During my OWD course, I had the chance to try out some wings from OMS and Mares and they suited me very well.
Additionally, I used a long-hose-setup for the regs which I also liked.

So what would you recommend to buy first, BCD or regs? And which BCD or regs would you pick?
I would go with a regulator, unless you are a hard to fit size. This piece of equipment is what lets you breathe and it's functioning is critical to your life. It also takes less room when traveling. As an example, my husband and I have all of our own equipment, but he normally rents a BCD so he can have more room for fly fishing equipment in his suitcase. He always takes his regulator.

I'm getting back into diving and replaced the Dacor 1st & 2nd stages with ScubaPro MK17 EVO/G260; pricey, but rock-solid-reliable. The BCD was also "long in the tooth" so I bought an Aqualung Wave. With your trip being around a year away, perhaps you'll be able to budget for both? Were I to choose one over the other, I'd go first with a new reg. Best of luck on whatever you decide!

Regs first. More universal, personalized to you, known working condition etc. It's a lot easier to deal with annoying BCD stuff than it is with regs.

I would not recommend buying anything from OMS as an FYI
Why would you not recommend OMS? Thanks

Why would you not recommend OMS? Thanks

bad customer service, questionable quality of company. Wings themselves are fine, it's just supporting that business that I don't agree with, especially when they aren't actually doing anything special or unique, so why bother? If you work for an OMS shop and need to wear it, fine, but I wouldn't buy anything new from them. Support domestic businesses like Dive Rite, Halcyon, Oxycheq, VDH, etc.

FWIW

bad customer service, questionable quality of company. Wings themselves are fine, it's just supporting that business that I don't agree with, especially when they aren't actually doing anything special or unique, so why bother? If you work for an OMS shop and need to wear it, fine, but I wouldn't buy anything new from them. Support domestic businesses like Dive Rite, Halcyon, Oxycheq, VDH, etc.

OP lives in Germany. an EU manufacturer like Dux, finnsub, or xdeep would be more local than US manufacturers like dive rite/halcyon/oxycheq/vdh

@runsongas correct, sorry I was directing that one at @WinfieldNC but to @thoasterino the advice still stands. For you I would look at the brands listed above for your BC, though Mares XR line seems to be pretty good, albeit uncommon in technical diving in the states. @Lake Hickory Scuba has some videos on their youtube page about their XR line of regulators and plates/wings and Bryan seems happy with them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom