Regs in carry-on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have any of you had issues carrying your regs onto a flight? I have a nice Akona regulator bag and I am taking my first flight with my gear. I am planning on carrying on the regulator bag and putting the rest of my gear in a rolling bag that I will check.

Have any of you had any issues getting your regulator through TSA? I've heard about them doing some pretty stupid stuff. Do they see scuba gear enough to know what a regulator is and to therefore allow it to be carried onto a flight without a hassle?

It depends on quite a few things; mostly the location of the airport and thus the familiarity of TSA agents with scuba gear. I've always been allowed to take it through, albeit sometimes with a short inspection delay.

When I'm going through security in Nashville or DC, they almost always want to look at the hoses and regs. But when I'm going through security in Miami or Hawaii, they seem to recognize what it is and don't need to open it up.

Don't worry about it, but allow yourself a little extra time in case they need to open up your bag.

Mike

I carry on my reg all the time. Sometimes they want to look but not often. Most TSA folks do seem to recognize them.

I wouldn't use a reg bag as my carryon though, unless it either made sense as my personal item or was large enough be a real carryon that would fit other things too. I use my usual rolling carry on so I have room for other things as well (mask, toiletries, bathing suit, a few clothes in case they lose my checked luggage.) I just coil the reg around the outside and cushion a little with clothes.

I just got back from a trip where I carried my reg on.

It was a scheduled flight so I was allowed to take one carrry on and one personal item. I was using the Akona Regulator bag as it fit the dimensions for the personal item, I was also able to fit my computer, my mp3 player, a couple of dive mags and a puzzle book and a few other odds and ends. I also used the side zippered pocket to carry all my tickets and stuff. You sure can fit alot into that little bag.

I used my carry on allowance for my camera stuff, log book and mask. The Mrs had the roller carry on for everything else.

We flew US Air and had a connecting flight both ways and they didn't even look into the bag, they just ran it through the Xray machines.

I wouldn't recommend putting your log book in a checked bag, EVER, you might need it and the time you do need it is the time they lose the bag.

AND DON'T FORGET YOUR C-CARD

Have a great trip!!!!

Divin'Hoosier:
Have any of you had issues carrying your regs onto a flight? I have a nice Akona regulator bag and I am taking my first flight with my gear. I am planning on carrying on the regulator bag and putting the rest of my gear in a rolling bag that I will check.

Have any of you had any issues getting your regulator through TSA? I've heard about them doing some pretty stupid stuff. Do they see scuba gear enough to know what a regulator is and to therefore allow it to be carried onto a flight without a hassle?

I've never had any issues with my regs in my carry on. A simple explanation is good enough for them. They're not sharp objects and my 7' foot hose isn't much of a threat (hmm... rubber hoses ... nevermind) and I don't have any dive knives attached to them.

I have flown several times with my regs and computer in my carrry-on and never had a problem. Sometimes they look sometimes not. However, I have had the rest of my gear come in a day late so I had to rent, BCD,wet suit,fins and mask for a day. At least I had my own regs to dive with. Carry on is the best idea. You also know that they are not getting banged around.

No problem with items mentioned thus far. However, even though TSA regs SAY you can take on a pony.....none have ever let me.

I put my regs and dive computer into my Akona reg bag with a pair of shorts, then stuff that into a small backpack with some other carry on items, like snacks, sweatshirt, etc. This way I can throw it on my back when I pick up my checked luggage, or just wandering around the airport. TSA has never opened my reg bag yet for inspection, but when traveling for work with a laptop, I often get searched *shrugs*

I always carry my reg/computer in my carryon and have so far, never had a problem. However, I also carry the manual that came with the equipment, so if someone isn't familiar with it, they can peruse it. I imagine to those who aren't familiar with dive equipment, the hoses and metal attachments can look suspicious.

Also, my computer has a knife attachment on the back, so I make double sure I remove it before heading off to the airport. In fact, when I pack my stuff, I use a checklist that reminds me to do just that.

Back
Top Bottom