Regs.. cold and deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving my ScubaPro G500 Mk20 for 9 years.....deepest was 130' and no problems. Just retired it to my pony, I'm going to try to see how my new Mares Abyss works. Just had it to 90' in Lake Michigan over the weekend and it worked great. Water temp at depth was 43 and no problems. so far so good!

Zeagle DSV with ZX second stage and ZX octo. Awesome breather, environmentally sealed first statge, ZX has a heat sync to keep it from freezing up.

To make it simple, I have 3 of them.

Manufactured in FL.

sherwood blizzard to 150' in 38 degrees

I haven't seen the Dive Rite G2500Ice mentioned yet. I have one and love it, my tech diving buddy turned me on to it and I replaced my beloved Scubapro Mk10 with one. I've been to 135' in 38 degree water with the Dive Rite and was extremely excited about its performance.

I have an extra one and if you want to come to Gilboa Aug 6 or up to Tobermory Aug 29-Sept 1 you're more than welcome to try it out.
Ber :lilbunny:

Quarrior:
Zeagle DSV with ZX second stage and ZX octo. Awesome breather, environmentally sealed first statge, ZX has a heat sync to keep it from freezing up.

To make it simple, I have 3 of them.

Manufactured in FL.
Agreed. I've got two Zeagle ZX/DSV's on my doubles and I really like them. I previously had Apeks ATX-100/FST and Apeks ATX-50/DST regs. Those were nice too but I switched to Zeagle as my LDS carries them and they have the free parts program on annual service. The Apeks I had been diving were purchased online so no free parts. Annual service gets spendy when you have pay for parts kits in addition to the labor.

ScubaPro MK 17 w/ X650 if you can get it otherwise either the S600 or G250. It's what most of the deep guys are using in Lake Michigan out of West Michigan. I know it's worked to 300+ in fresh water.

The following regs would all be great for the kind of diving you would be doing.

Scubapro MK 17 + S600 or G250
Atomic M1
Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10

Here are some of my thoughts.

Price: Oceanic #1, Scubapro #2, Atomic #3 I am not sure of the exact retail cost but I think you could almost buy 2 Oceanics to one Atomic.

Performance: Tie, All three of these breath great. They should all give you more performance than you would ever need.

Coldwater: Once again tie, but I prefer the Scubapro and Oceanic's dry seal

Hose Routing: #1 Atomic, I prefer the various routing options available with the turret/swivel style first stage of the Atomic but this my opinion. #2 Tie between Scubapro and Oceanic(although Oceanics swivel seems pretty comfortable I think all of these are very comfy without the swivel).

Bubble Interference: #1 Atomic, #2 Scubapro(if you go with the G250), #3 Oceanic

Support after the sale: #1 Scubapro, Slight edge to Scubapro for worldwide parts availability. But if you are diving close to home this is a non issue. I have dealt with all three manufacturers and they are all great. #2 Tie Oceanic/Atomic

Resale Value: #1 Atomic, #2 Scubapro, #3 Oceanic, If you ever want to change gear or get out of your gear I have found it easier for me to sale Atomic and Scubapro on ebay than any other brand I have had.

Hope this helps,

Gillty

Not sure what your price break point is. I have an Atomic M1 that I've been using for a couple of years now and I have yet to experience any trouble, regardless of depth or temperature( >110', <38 F). I have replaced the heat sink and am using the swivel hose on my M1; still no freeze up problems. My vote would be for Atomic, but then again I have little exposure to some of the other brands listed.

Scubapro MK25/S600 best in any depth "reliable"

the diverite 2500Iceis awesome. I have used it in 130FT and in 33F water with no problmes at all. It actually breathes better at depth then in shallow water. The Atomic M1 is nice to but twice the price

Back
Top Bottom