Regs breathing wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the right side up position, the exhaust valve on most regulators is at the bottom. The exhaust valve is small diaphragm exactly like a purge type snorkel. In order for it to work, it must unseat itself from the housing. When you breathe out, any water in the second stage case would sink to the lowest level and be forced out along with the air so you never notice it. In the inverted position, the exhaust valve is at the top, so when you breath out, a bit of water makes its way past the valve but has no way to get out. This is the water you are aspirating.

Years ago I worked in a dive shop that sold GSD regulators, they breathed wet in the upright position and dry in the upside down position….the exhaust valve was located at the top. Perhaps a GSD is what you need. :D

Couv

In the right side up position, the exhaust valve on most regulators is at the bottom. The exhaust valve is small diaphragm exactly like a purge type snorkel. In order for it to work, it must unseat itself from the housing. When you breathe out, any water in the second stage case would sink to the lowest level and be forced out along with the air so you never notice it. In the inverted position, the exhaust valve is at the top, so when you breath out, a bit of water makes its way past the valve but has no way to get out. This is the water you are aspirating.

Years ago I worked in a dive shop that sold GSD regulators, they breathed wet in the upright position and dry in the upside down position….the exhaust valve was located at the top. Perhaps a GSD is what you need. :D

Couv

It does indeed sound like a GSD is what I need!

Thanks for the insight - always nice to know how things work.

I'm slightly puzzled at the dynamics though. Are you essentially saying that the diaphragm is positioned to take gas out at the area of most resistance (for the gas) but in doing so flushes water from the area? Sorry for being stupid, but I prefer to ask questions rather than pretend I understand.

Cheers,
John

Out of curiosity, why do (most) regs breathe a little wet upsidedown? Just interested to know why?

Thanks,
John

Every time you exhale, you open the exhaust valve, which is just a silicone flap on the outside of the regulator case. When the flap is open, a little water can seep in. When you are in normal swimming position, the mouthpiece is higher than the exhaust valve, and so the little bit of water never makes it to your mouth; instead, it just drains back out the next time the flap is open. (or some of it does) When you are inverted, that water will drain right into the mouthpiece; there's your wet breath.

While a little water is an annoyance and is typical, if it's enough so that it really bothers you there's something wrong. The first and easiest thing to do is to replace the exhaust valve and make sure that the case surface where it seals is completely clean and smooth.

There could be another leak, if your mouthpiece is not sealing correctly or if there's a pin hole in the diaphragm, or a small crack in the case, water will seep in and pool in the bottom; same problem as the leaky exhaust valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom