reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bottom runner, I never said the 1st stage was up or down stream, I said " reg " meaning 2nd stage. Why would I want to change to a Cyklon when part's for my Extreme were over $100 to service? Everyone knows here, that Poseidon's are expensive to service, that's one of their negitive's , like ALL reg;s they all have their pro's and con's. I was simply giving " My opinion " having dived many Reg's all ready, from Poseidon's, Atomics, Scuba-Pro's, etc.

Also to answers your response, If you read the Scuba Diving magazine, where they just compared the top 16 Reg's ,in Nov 2005 , page 101, they rated both the Atomic M-1 and the Poseidon Xstream Deep 90, side by side. Their testing score's took the Reg's down from 132' to 165' , to 198' . They rated them from 5 being a top score, to 1 being the lowest.

The Atomic M-1 rated 5 on all 5 test,all the way down to 198' and Quote " was excellent performance on the breathing simulator , perfect work of breathing score's,and reached 81 RMV on their muscle test.

The Poseidon Extreme Deep rated a 5 at 132' @ 37.5 RMV , then dropped to a 3 at the same depth when brought to 75 RMV at 132' , bringing in the lowest score in that category out of 16 Reg's tested at 132' . Then at 165' it it ranked a 4 at 62.5 RMV.
At 198' it also ranked a 4 , and It's Maximum RMV was 75.0 , while the Atomic M-1 came in at 81.0 . The reg overall scored a 4 .
Their quote on the Poseidon was " When pushed to the Limit's, the reg barley squeaked by " with 75 RMV's being the min.

RMV = Respiratory Minute Volume

That is basically the amount of gas that can be ventilated through the lung's in one minute.

Would I buy a reg dependent only on their test score's, absolutely not. Would I take their test score's into consideration, of course .

So this doesn't start a argument on which reg is the best, because I'm convinced I'll be back diving a re breather within the next 6 month's again, and will not have to worry about Sac rate's, loud bubble's, Hauling big heavy tank's around, on and off the boat, forget about all that !!

But the point I was making, was after diving MANY Reg's over the past 5 year's, My personal opinion would be a Atomic M-1 , Some of the Scuba-pro's, Dive-Rite's RG2000 , Apex's , and their's a few other's I would choose from, or recommend. I have a friend that dives the Poseidon Extreme, and love's it, and he will probably be diving that reg for another 10 year's , because he likes it so much.

A reg is a very personal PC of equipment, what work's best for one, the other may not like it. I also see your from Ontario , I bet you see a TON of Poseidon's up their , there very popular amoungest the cold water diver's . Down here in the springs and cave's, I can honestly say, They are not that popular. I see allot of different Reg's used in the cave system's, but don't see allot of Poseidon's, doesn't mean their not dived all the time, but I haven't noticed them as much as all the Dive-rite's I see, And other's here.

Thanks for your input, and your probably right, I never did adjust the Intermediate pressure, but I also never gave Reg a chance, as I did not like the way it " breathed " and that was probably the reason, and cost of servicing was my other selling factor.

Just thought I would throw this in, if you don't need to breathe a mix with FO2 higher than 40%, the Z1 is the exact same design as the M1 but built with different alloys, and retails for only $375!!! Try finding a high performance reg for cheaper than that. Not to mention Atomic designs and machines everything here in the States.

You live in Gainesville. Try Dive Rite. Excellent reputation, and the company is less than 40 minutes from you. Service will not be an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom