Reg setup and gear progression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I expect I will be diving solo most of the time and hence the interest in a redundant air source. I'm not a fan of having a second regulator on a long hose flopping around and getting in the way, and/or getting snagged on things and/or getting confused with my primary mouthpiece, hence the interested in the integrated.
If you cant handle having two second stages you should not be solo diving. all your hoses should be the correct length to be stream lined to the body so they are not flopping around waiting to be snagged.

I recommend having a 40" hose on the primary second stage and a 20" or 22" hose on the alternate second stage on a bungee necklace to keep it from hanging, and a standard inflator.

I’m not sure where you got the idea that your BC would be inflated off your pony. Nix that thought! 😝

Just curious - what’s your dive count?
Just finished my OW last month and am in the gear accumulation stage.

The idea of inflating a BCD from a pony come from trying to figure out how to use a redundant air source with a secondary / power inflator like the SS1 or Air 2. I don't like having the Octo floating around getting in the way and hence trying to find a configuration that avoids having one. Most people I have run into in these parts run single tank with a primary donate and a SS1, but that doesn't allow for the redundancy.

I understand the appeal of using an integrated inflator/secondary -- I used to dive that setup, in fact -- but it's less than optimal. As @Josh the diver wrote, you're better off using a necklaced octo and standard inflator.

This setup keeps the octo tamed and immediately available in case you ever actually have to use it. Plus, using an octo is far easier than breathing from and controlling your buoyancy through the same device.

The idea of inflating a BCD from a pony come from trying to figure out how to use a redundant air source with a secondary / power inflator like the SS1 or Air 2. I don't like having the Octo floating around getting in the way and hence trying to find a configuration that avoids having one. Most people I have run into in these parts run single tank with a primary donate and a SS1, but that doesn't allow for the redundancy.

You just finished OW and you’re already talking about diving solo? What’s the attraction of solo and what are your regular dive sites?

OK, I can see that.

Are there other aftermarket valves for the BCD because I find the ergonomics of the standard K valve to be challenging with thick gloves.

Congrats on your certification...but I strongly suggest that you NOT dive solo, at least not for quite a while.

I'm not gonna say "OMG yer gonna die," but...um...you could die. Dive with a buddy until you get a lot more experience.

Are there other aftermarket valves for the BCD because I find the ergonomics of the standard K valve to be challenging with thick gloves.
Tank valves, you mean? You'll need to own your own tanks for these solutions, but you can get aftermarket Vindicator knobs -- they're a bit larger than standard, and they have a nice green/red system for signaling the open/closed status -- and you can also get valves with taller necks (Dive Gear Express sells them) that put the handwheels a bit higher up. However, AFAIK, handwheels are the only standard.

Don't worry, though; as you gain experience, you'll find it easier and easier to manipulate the valve handles.

Tank valves, you mean? You'll need to own your own tanks for these solutions, but you can get aftermarket Vindicator knobs -- they're a bit larger than standard, and they have a nice green/red system for signaling the open/closed status -- and you can also get valves with taller necks (Dive Gear Express sells them) that put the handwheels a bit higher up. However, AFAIK, handwheels are the only standard.

Don't worry, though; as you gain experience, you'll find it easier and easier to manipulate the valve handles.

I thought he meant power inflator head. I’ve seen other people post they like the bigger buttons on the octo/inflator combo.

I thought he was talking about K style inflators.

@Cthippo

Seeing that you are up on I-5, would you be willing to make the trek south to 8 Diving (Eight Diving – A Seattle Diving Company and Dive Shop) in Des Moines?

It would be worth the drive to ensure you get squared away properly. I find in our area that dive shops are often staffed by unknowledgeable, poorly paid people. The folks at 8 are your nearest solid shop. The next closest is Off the Hook Diving (that gives the best support from beginner divers to rebreather divers in the region) in Lacey, but that's even farther away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom