Reg semi came apart, breathing wet a day later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems nearly impossible as described so I'm puzzled.

A first stage with a hole to the outside salt water will blow bubbles, not suck in salt water.

Could be a 1/4 teaspoon when initially pressurizing the reg but not every now and then.

Exhaust valve on the second stage seating right? No tiny rips or nicks in the neck of the mouth piece.

Salt water at a pressure of (lets say) 60 PSI can't seep into a first stage where the pressure is ~3000psi or 160psi (IP is ambient plus ~130psi.)

I've seen water in a tank. Sloshes around the side, needs really full to make it's way into the drip tube and out the valve.

Still puzzled. Oh. If you need a DIN reg to borrow in the next couple days I have one you're welcome to.

Seems nearly impossible as described so I'm puzzled.

A first stage with a hole to the outside salt water will blow bubbles, not suck in salt water.

Could be a 1/4 teaspoon when initially pressurizing the reg but not every now and then.

Exhaust valve on the second stage seating right? No tiny rips or nicks in the neck of the mouth piece.

Salt water at a pressure of (lets say) 60 PSI can't seep into a first stage where the pressure is ~3000psi or 160psi (IP is ambient plus ~130psi.)

I've seen water in a tank. Sloshes around the side, needs really fully to make it's way into the drip tube and out the valve.

Still puzzled. Oh. If you need a DIN reg to borrow in the next couple days I have one you're welcome to.

I’m also perplexed by this. I’m annoyed that the equipment here has had a negative effect on my own gear. The chipped chrome is spreading and I’m concerned about the long-term effects of it.

Everything about my second stage seems fine. The fact that it was perfect for the last dive makes it even more confusing.

Thinking back, I do think I got wet breaths more when my feet were higher than my head, so maybe the tank has something to do with it??

I really appreciate that offer. Someone is lending me a Z3 for the next couple days, but that’s very kind of you. What shop are you with here?

I’m also perplexed by this. I’m annoyed that the equipment here has had a negative effect on my own gear. The chipped chrome is spreading and I’m concerned about the long-term effects of it.

Everything about my second stage seems fine. The fact that it was perfect for the last dive makes it even more confusing.

Thinking back, I do think I got wet breaths more when my feet were higher than my head, so maybe the tank has something to do with it??

I really appreciate that offer. Someone is lending me a Z3 for the next couple days, but that’s very kind of you. What shop are you with here?

Feet up can be water in the tank in theory....

Here's something else I've noticed, some second stage exhaust valves leak depending their position in the water. Feet up, head down a couple of mine salt water me. Laying on my back some others do.

I'm not with anyone, pleasure diving (mainly the cave systems) I do have a little stash of gear here for when family comes to visit or people need to borrow something. Happy to help out if I can. (14mm wetsuit if your cold)

Enjoy your next couple days diving.

Cameron

There should be a "Valve-Snorkel" the Tank valve on the inside so even if there was water or any other contaminates, nothing would find its way to the valve and the first stage. If this "snorkel/stem/tube" is missing or broken, then everything is going to find its way through the valve to the first stage.

There should be a "Valve-Snorkel" the Tank valve on the inside so even if there was water or any other contaminates, nothing would find its way to the valve and the first stage. If this "snorkel/stem/tube" is missing or broken, then everything is going to find its way through the valve to the first stage.

Few photos to go with that. Like the term snorkel for it. Makes sense. And works great until the water gets a little too deep.... very very rare I hope. If one falls out it rattles inside the tank so unless it's rusted through or not installed to begin with its a pretty fool-proof design.

images (1).jpeg
images.jpeg

Not my images.

Dip tube.

If one falls out it rattles inside the tank

Not if it were plastic. In the past, long past, they used plastic tubes but they discovered that they weren't a good choice for the intended purpose and many broke. I have a tank I bought circa 2001 that had a plastic tube and broke inside the tank. It never "rattled" and I only discovered it when I removed the valve to inspect the tank on the inside.

Not if it were plastic. In the past, long past, they used plastic tube but there quickly discovered that they weren't a good choice for the intended purpose and many broke. I have a tank I bought circa 2001 that had a plastic tube and broke inside the tank. It never "rattled" and only discovered it when I open the valve to inspect the tank on the inside.

Wow. Thank you. Glad to know, my experience isn't broad enough. I appreciate you filling in the gaps...

Important personally because I have a bad habit of going headfirst into holes and looking under things... I do the shake test on rental tanks (trusting they original had a drip tube installed) but I'd hate to have a broken off plastic one and then particles/corrosion block the flush opening.

It's uncomfortable to be headfirst in a hole and have instantly 0 air... not a feeling I want twice in a lifetime.

(Maybe the drip tube needs a thread? Haven't seen one recently)

Cozumel is pretty standardized on yoke tank valves and 1st-stages, why even mess with a DIN reg down there ? The only ones really using DIN in Mexico are the cave divers on the mainland doing cenote diving.

in Cozumel have seen tanks with alot of water inside.
Head down position wet breathing, then harder breathing, then unusable.
First stage air filter choked off with wet al oxide.
Water sloshing in tank.

Maybe there was water in the tank or something, as unlikely as that seems.

I've seen water in a tank. Sloshes around the side, needs really full to make it's way into the drip tube and out the valve.

A friend of mine was diving in Cozumel, and he had to share air with someone at depth at the beginning of the dive, as soon as that diver was in a head lowered position. On the surface, they opened the tank and found that it had about a liter of water in it, and it had no dip tube whatsoever, either in place or loose.

Back when i was training with another agency, the owner of that agency reportedly took all the dip tubes out of his tanks because it was annoying to hear them rattle around when they fell out. Perhaps someone in the dive fill company (which supplied most of the dive operators) had the same attitude.

Back
Top Bottom