Reg repair fiasco (RANT)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
The only problem with this si that most manufacturers require you to be a dive shop and a dealer of their products in order for them to authorize you to service the stuff and sell you parts.

I am on your side for that one, but I think that there are alotof ways in that back door. You can even find it on some online shops.

whitedragon13:
So, my reg has been in for an annual with my LDS for SIX WEEKS. I was promised in two.

First, the guy isn't around to fix it. Then, he's around, but the IP gauge is broken. Then, he gets an IPG in, but claims he can't get parts (sherwood oasis2). Today, I call down and they tell me it's ready (Monday they didn't have parts). I go to pick it up, and they knock $25 off the price for all the suffering. As they're ringing it up, I notice:
1. No little baggie of replaced parts.
2. Corrosion around all parts of the reg

It hasn't been done....so, six weeks later and I almost paid $75 for a reg which hasn't been fixed. I am NOT happy.

It sucks, because I used to work in a shop and repair gear. I used to fix my own reg, just don't have the tools/parts now. Even crazier, someone who wasn't careful would've just walked out with the thing not knowing the difference!
i,m a certified sherwood repair tech and all i have to say is that i dont trust very many people touching my regs.Sherwoods are very easy to service and if you,ve somehow a part supplier,then i,m willing to send you a copy of the manual ,on your behalf you propably can get away without the need of special tools.Otherwise you can order the tools you,re desire from "PETERBUILD SCUBATOOLS".you can send me a message if you,d like to have the manual.I,ve had several similar experiences and dont take my stuff to stores no more ,but instead send it to the manufacturer instead.Peace

Hank49:
that really sucks. But I have to ask....I thought a ScubaPro MK15 was a diaphram reg and the MK10, 20 and 25 are the balanced pistons...???

The Mk 15 is very closely related to the MK 20 and MK 25 which are both evoluationary developments of the Mk 15. The Mk 15 introduced the large piston as well as the bushing system to contain the HP o-ring.

There are some cosmetic differences and the MK 15 is a little harder to service as it uses a hard to reach c-clip to retain the lower bushings and uses a non-replaceable captive bushing pressed into the first stage body for the upper bushing. Overall performance and design is however very similar to the MK 20 and Mk 25.

The Mk 14, Mk 16 and Mk 18 are diaphragm regs. The MK 16 and Mk18 are very similar with the major difference being the swivel cap on the Mk 18. The Mk14 is not related at all and was a stop gap "gotta have a diaphragm reg now because some divers want one" design.

One thing I notice you don't mention: was the shop a Sherwood dealer? If it was, then in all liklihood they were hosing you - Sherwoods are the pretty much the cheapest regs to rebuild, taking hardly any parts, and the same parts fit most of the models so it would have to be the most rinky-dink, halfassed Sherwood dealer in the galaxy not to have the parts. If it wasn't, then you learned why you got to be nuts to take a reg to a a shop that isn't an authorized dealer for that reg, unless you know for sure they have the parts and can work on that reg.

whitedragon13:
So, my reg has been in for an annual with my LDS for SIX WEEKS. I was promised in two.

alemaozinho:
i,m a certified sherwood repair tech and all i have to say is that i dont trust very many people touching my regs.Sherwoods are very easy to service ...
That sounds like a contradiction to me. Why wouldn't you like anyone touching your regs. I can fully understand someone who is incompetant or who you had a bad experience with, but like you said sherwoods aren't some specialty reg, you would have to be an idiot to screw it up. All these stories about people having bad experiences with regs make me wonder the credibility of the shop in general.

Believe me, the owner is going to hear about it. He just hasn't been around the past couple of days.

As for not being able to tell just by looking at it that it wasn't done. As a former repair tech, yes, I can tell...unless the "repair" was simply hooking it up to the IPG and calling it good.

that's not the worst story I have heard..... I have known shops who lost or given back the wrong regulator or regulators that were returned with different guages attached to them ....... since all of us have different configurations (guages, computers, oct.) a lost or stolen unit can mean a big lost for the shop. Most of the time the stuff dangleing off the 1st stage cost more than the basic regulator to begin with. Take my advice ... write down all numbers and take a picture of your unit.

have no complaints with three years of work on our family's kit which is quite diverse - Mares, Scubapro, Zeagle, Aqualung, Oceanic, Seaquest. I'll be happy to email the shop info to anyone who asks.

Interestingly, I think I got a referral to this shop in '01 after posting either here or on rec.scuba.equipment my concerns that are similar to many of those listed here - long turn arounds, anecdotal horror stories, kludged fixes, etc.

Anyway, this shop asks you to fill out a work order with descriptions and S/N's of all gear so there will be no confusion over who owns what.

Sincerely,

Bill

scubapro50:
that's not the worst story I have heard..... I have known shops who lost or given back the wrong regulator or regulators that were returned with different guages attached to them ....... since all of us have different configurations (guages, computers, oct.) a lost or stolen unit can mean a big lost for the shop. Most of the time the stuff dangleing off the 1st stage cost more than the basic regulator to begin with. Take my advice ... write down all numbers and take a picture of your unit.

whitedragon13:
As a former repair tech, yes, I can tell....
As a current tech you cannot tell if the internals of the reg have been replaced just by the quality of cleaning job done to the outside of the reg. Even though that counts too. And i still agree with your story and I am not necessarily saying that they did do it, just that it is a possibility.

oxyhacker:
One thing I notice you don't mention: was the shop a Sherwood dealer? If it was, then in all liklihood they were hosing you - Sherwoods are the pretty much the cheapest regs to rebuild, taking hardly any parts, and the same parts fit most of the models so it would have to be the most rinky-dink, halfassed Sherwood dealer in the galaxy not to have the parts. If it wasn't, then you learned why you got to be nuts to take a reg to a a shop that isn't an authorized dealer for that reg, unless you know for sure they have the parts and can work on that reg.

Yes, a Sherwood dealer. LDS is less than a year old and has only been repairing gear for about 2 months...treated me pretty well up till now.

Back
Top Bottom