Reg repair fiasco (RANT)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitedragon13

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, my reg has been in for an annual with my LDS for SIX WEEKS. I was promised in two.

First, the guy isn't around to fix it. Then, he's around, but the IP gauge is broken. Then, he gets an IPG in, but claims he can't get parts (sherwood oasis2). Today, I call down and they tell me it's ready (Monday they didn't have parts). I go to pick it up, and they knock $25 off the price for all the suffering. As they're ringing it up, I notice:
1. No little baggie of replaced parts.
2. Corrosion around all parts of the reg

It hasn't been done....so, six weeks later and I almost paid $75 for a reg which hasn't been fixed. I am NOT happy.

It sucks, because I used to work in a shop and repair gear. I used to fix my own reg, just don't have the tools/parts now. Even crazier, someone who wasn't careful would've just walked out with the thing not knowing the difference!

whitedragon13:
So, my reg has been in for an annual with my LDS for SIX WEEKS. I was promised in two.

First, the guy isn't around to fix it. Then, he's around, but the IP gauge is broken. Then, he gets an IPG in, but claims he can't get parts (sherwood oasis2). Today, I call down and they tell me it's ready (Monday they didn't have parts). I go to pick it up, and they knock $25 off the price for all the suffering. As they're ringing it up, I notice:
1. No little baggie of replaced parts.
2. Corrosion around all parts of the reg

It hasn't been done....so, six weeks later and I almost paid $75 for a reg which hasn't been fixed. I am NOT happy.

It sucks, because I used to work in a shop and repair gear. I used to fix my own reg, just don't have the tools/parts now. Even crazier, someone who wasn't careful would've just walked out with the thing not knowing the difference!

Guess you'll spend your next "repair budget" on tools and supplies huh?LOL
I know it's no laughing matter for a LDS to behave that way. Better start looking for another one, and go to scubatools.com to buy everything you need to do it right, and do it yourself. (The preceeding comment was not a solilicitation for scubatools.com They just have lots of cool stuff.

db

especially since my wife has the new oasis. One year of annuals in HI, I could buy the equipment and kits for a while. Just can't get the f'n kits!

The year after I bought my Mk 15, I took it in for an annual service as I was unable to find parts for it. That was the last time I sent a reg in for an annual service as it also took 6 weeks, cost $75.00 and had a bad case of IP creep when I finally got it back. When I dissassembled it, I noted the hard sealing edge on the piston was badly dinged and the only way for that to happen is to drop the piston during servicing.

That shop is fortunately now out if business, and ironically enough, I now do all the SP repair work for the other shop in town, which acquired the SP dealership from the other shop. Our turn around is usually no more than a week.

DA Aquamaster:
The year after I bought my Mk 15, I took it in for an annual service as I was unable to find parts for it. That was the last time I sent a reg in for an annual service as it also took 6 weeks, cost $75.00 and had a bad case of IP creep when I finally got it back. When I dissassembled it, I noted the hard sealing edge on the piston was badly dinged and the only way for that to happen is to drop the piston during servicing.

That shop is fortunately now out if business, and ironically enough, I now do all the SP repair work for the other shop in town, which acquired the SP dealership from the other shop. Our turn around is usually no more than a week.

Sweet! Just send me two oasis kits and your IPG, and I'll be set.

So, why do we have the LDS again??? I think there is a market for REG TECHS to start a home business, servicing REGS. Post your location on this board and I would send my REGS there..........

DA Aquamaster:

that really sucks. But I have to ask....I thought a ScubaPro MK15 was a diaphram reg and the MK10, 20 and 25 are the balanced pistons...???

ShakaZulu:
So, why do we have the LDS again??? I think there is a market for REG TECHS to start a home business, servicing REGS. Post your location on this board and I would send my REGS there..........

oh - oh - oh pick me. I think that I would do that. Obviously there would have to be a little more consideration for turn around timem, but I think depending on location 3 weeks would still be more than adequate.

As for the original problem (depending on how long you have had the reg after service) I would take it back and ***** at them hardcore. There is no reason for this crap. It shouldn't stand. Now there is some difficulty in telling if the reg has been servied just by looking at it, but this could also be a really really crappy job. If it hasn't been a couple weeks I would go back, talk to the owner and go nuts. Use the 'this is life support' line when you get pissed. they will feel stupid. It is people like you that they depend on backing down and complaining to the peons of scubaboard to get away with this. Furthermore, I would tell everyone that you dive with locally the problem. It will bring on more reprocussions that way.

ShakaZulu:

The only problem with this si that most manufacturers require you to be a dive shop and a dealer of their products in order for them to authorize you to service the stuff and sell you parts.

Back
Top Bottom