Reg removal skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the real world it might be best to go to the octo, because you know where that is and how soon you can deploy it. I wouldn’t invest time in finding the lost reg because exactly this one time it might prove harder to find, be tangled in something, or might have lost its mouthpiece. The octo is a fast and sure thing, then with the octo I have time to work out any unexpected problems.
But the exercise isn’t done that way, so we need to learn it the way we are supposed to do it. I think the idea behind the classic exercise is not to only reg recovery using the sweep, but also to make you learn that you can quite comfortably be w/o an air source for at least 30 seconds, and also to reinforce that you must never holding your breath (perfect performance asks you to blow a tiny stream of bubbles).
In real life I’ve found that the biggest risk for losing your reg is a buddy who swims with their hands - a windmill. Watch out for these people and you might never lose your reg in real life.

I too like to always use a necklace bungee on my octo, using the shorter hose.

I guess it could happen! Get a bungee/necklace for your octo.......?

Yup. I wasn’t thrilled about the octo on a necklace idea/thing at first (my instructor is a tech diver). Once I used it a couple times, I was sold on it.

I think the idea behind the classic exercise is not to only reg recovery using the sweep, but also to make you learn that you can quite comfortably be w/o an air source for at least 30 seconds...

The idea behind the classic recovering the second stage was because there was no alternate second used at that time. It is also why buddy breathing was was taught at that time. A normal reg set , when training started, consisted of a primary and secondary only. No SPG, no alternate second, no BC inflater, they came to be standard equipment later.

Bob

Welcome to scuba and Scubaboard!
You have got many excellent tips from the experts.
Just go slow and stay within your comfort zone.
Start with reg removal for extended periods. Work up slowly to YOUR comfort limit. Keep that reg in hand and ready.
I would say, only toss away your primary after confirming the location AND FUNCTION of your secondary.
Try the search feature here. Lots of info. here on necklaced secondarys and primary donation to an ooa diver.
Either way, sounds like you're determined to be a safe, proficient diver!

Cheers, Kevin

Back
Top Bottom