Reg removal skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a fair number of sites that involve a long surface swim before descending. The sweep is handy on the surface in these situations.

Then there's the times you get SOT'D instead of SORT'D because you're not thinking. Not that I've ever done that......
I used SORTED. Equalize as you Descend.

Yes, it would make sense in most cases to grab your alternate. My theory is that you were not taught to do so because when the skill was first taught, there were no alternates, and they still haven't changed the method.

As for the sweep method being the easiest and most reliable, I disagree, and why I disagree is a long story.

Decades ago almost all instruction on basic skills was done with students kneeling on the bottom of the pool or in the sand. If you learn your skills that way, the way you do those skills is completely different from the way you do them on a real dive, with your body in a horizontal position. You are learning one way to do things in class, but in the real world it is different. In the last few years, instructors around the world have been switching to teaching skills with students in a horizontal diving posture, and it makes a huge difference.

Sweep: If you are kneeling with the body vertical, leaning to the right is different from leaning to the right while horizontal. The regulator will hang differently as well. It is actually easier to do it while horizontal because the regular will naturally fall in front of you.

Reach: When you are kneeling and vertical, gravity takes the tank valve and the regulators down and away from you. It is so hard to reach the hose that you are usually taught to lift the bottom of the tank with your left hand to get it close enough to reach it. It is still hard to reach it. That is why most people say the sweep method is so much easier. On the other hand, if you are horizontal, gravity puts the tank valve and regulator right behind your head. Your regulator hose is right behind your ear. It is extremely easy to reach the hose in that position, much easier than the sweep method.

Yes, it would make sense in most cases to grab your alternate. My theory is that you were not taught to do so because when the skill was first taught, there were no alternates, and they still haven't changed the method.

As for the sweep method being the easiest and most reliable, I disagree, and why I disagree is a long story.

Decades ago almost all instruction on basic skills was done with students kneeling on the bottom of the pool or in the sand. If you learn your skills that way, the way you do those skills is completely different from the way you do them on a real dive, with your body in a horizontal position. You are learning one way to do things in class, but in the real world it is different. In the last few years, instructors around the world have been switching to teaching skills with students in a horizontal diving posture, and it makes a huge difference.

Sweep: If you are kneeling with the body vertical, leaning to the right is different from leaning to the right while horizontal. The regulator will hang differently as well. It is actually easier to do it while horizontal because the regular will naturally fall in front of you.

Reach: When you are kneeling and vertical, gravity takes the tank valve and the regulators down and away from you. It is so hard to reach the hose that you are usually taught to lift the bottom of the tank with your left hand to get it close enough to reach it. It is still hard to reach it. That is why most people say the sweep method is so much easier. On the other hand, if you are horizontal, gravity puts the tank valve and regulator right behind your head. Your regulator hose is right behind your ear. It is extremely easy to reach the hose in that position, much easier than the sweep method.
Interesting. Never thought of doing the Reach as #1 option. That may be as well a good explanation as to why grabbing your own Alt. is rarely mentioned (think I recall hearing one or 2 instructors mention it).
I haven't given reg retrieval much thought as I have never had that or mask kicked out (almost had the reg MP blown out once in current, thus the molded mouthpiece). I also bungee my primary around my head to hold it in my mouth should I ever go unconscious, so a lost reg would probably never occur for me.

Hi, I recently became open water certified and have a question about the reg removal/retrieval skill. I hope to practice this skill on my next fun dive just to become more comfortable with it. In an actual real diving scenario, if the reg gets knocked out of your mouth, do you actually do the side tilt & arm sweep, or just reach back and find the hose? Also, if for e.g. it's knocked out of your mouth while exhaling, wouldn't you just reach for your octo? I have heard of regs getting knocked out of divers mouths, hopefully I won't encounter it any time soon, so I you could fill me in please, maybe if it has happened to you and how you dealt with the situation? Or any tips how to practice it underwater? Thanks so much:)

Much scuba instruction is about giving a new diver confidence. Loosing a regulator is rare but an obvious possibility. Reaching back might work, that will depend on a bunch of factors including attitude, wet or drysuit, undersuit, how many hoses, how low you hang your cylinder, etc. You get taught a process which should be independent of those things so you don’t need to think about it. I suggest practicing it however it was taught to you.

Tbh, the most likely time for me to need to do this is in standing depth having discussed something with a student, usually to do with weighting. Similarly students will let go of their regulators then. Sometimes at the surface mid lesson too, however it is bad practice to have to speak to a student at the surface so I should be avoiding that, indeed I will tell students off for taking a reg out before getting back on the boat.

tilt and sweep because most of the time it's the fastest most reliable method.

Not at all! The reach the valve is the most reliable surest way to find your second stage hose. The sweep won't work if your hose is floating behind your head or is stuck somewhere you can't reach by the sweep. If you had to learn one way, it should be the valve reach.

Of course this is a good skill when diving a traditional ow setup, but I encourage you to look at a couple better options that will virtually eliminate the need for this..

1. Always have you secondary on a neck bungee, and test breath at the start of the dive (at least). ***this is YOUR backup reg and you donate primary in case of a distressed buddy.

2. Primary on a 40” that goes under the right arm and up your chest and has a 90* elbow.

3. Another option is to have primary on a 5’ hose that goes under the right arm. Up and around the neck, and has a 90* (or 120*) elbow. Hose will end up against your right jaw, and reg will sit right at your mouth. This is MUCH more streamlined and compact than it probably sounds to someone who has not tried it.

Hi, I recently became open water certified and have a question about the reg removal/retrieval skill. I hope to practice this skill on my next fun dive just to become more comfortable with it. In an actual real diving scenario, if the reg gets knocked out of your mouth, do you actually do the side tilt & arm sweep, or just reach back and find the hose? Also, if for e.g. it's knocked out of your mouth while exhaling, wouldn't you just reach for your octo? I have heard of regs getting knocked out of divers mouths, hopefully I won't encounter it any time soon, so I you could fill me in please, maybe if it has happened to you and how you dealt with the situation? Or any tips how to practice it underwater? Thanks so much:)
Do what works for the situation. Practice both. There may be places where there isn't quite enough room to do the arm sweep. I dive with an Octo-Z on my inflator hose. I can easily grab my alternate with my left hand while doing a sweep with my right.

Honestly, the most important skill to practice is being comfortable in the water. It's one thing to remove your regulator when you are ready. It's quite another to get it knocked out. Being comfortable in the water will allow you to stay calm and do whatever you need to get the reg back. I got the chance to watch my oldest daughter's checkout dives. While they were doing the removal drills, I started wondering if she would really be able to handle an unexpected regulator retrieval. I got that answer the next day during her final checkout dives. Skills were completed, and they were just swimming. One of the other students accidentally kicked her and knocked the regulator out of her mouth. It went into freeflow and she couldn't retrieve it right away. Her next move was to get her Octo-Z, clear, and resume breathing. By that time, I was able to get her regulator under control and she swapped again.

i always go to the octopus, if reg is pulled out by snag or another diver, reason being that it may now be damaged. Better to exercise the octo and give the primary a thorough inspection, than shove it back in and suck sea water.

Im a

I am a tilt and sweeper. IT works almost every time. Unless its right in front of my face anyways. Then I just grab it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom