Reg question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently picked up a new Aeros Atmos Octo to replace my old one, which didn't return from a dive in one peice. Everything works fine with it, except is has a SLOW leak all the time while it is in the mouthpiece holder. I would say about one large bubble seeps out a min. Nothing that would make a significant loss of air over the length of the dive. I am using one of those Round holders that you shove the mouth piece into until it settles in.
The reg doesn't leak when it is out, only when it is stowed. I am thinking that a hole in the cover might be in order to allow it to equalize inside, which I think is causing the problem. Other wise I don't really like it anyway, I might just file it away for the DIR gods. I got it for Xmas, but I felt obliged to use it for at least a few dives. I think a snorkel holder would work better. The holder is brand new, so I hate to just not use it though. I quess I am vasilating. any ideas on how to make the thing quit leaking.

I'm not 100% sure of the exact reason for this but I experienced the same thing on mine. (I think it has something to do with negative pressure build up in the octo holder causing it to draw air.) I got rid of the octo holder you described and went with something like this http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=976&parentCategory=974&sort=prsdesc . Worked much better as an octo holder and no air leaks after that.

My favorite Octo holder is the BCOH2 from Cetacea. It has a little lanyard that you attach to the hose - right near the octo - then it has a double sided velcro tab. The other half has the opposite velcro and a clip. Makes it real easy to put in and out.

You are right that the pressure difference is making yours bubble. When you hop in - take it out, fill the reg with water then put it back in... but that's such a pain - I'd just get one that doesn't have that problem.

ScubaTexas:
I'm not 100% sure of the exact reason for this but I experienced the same thing on mine. (I think it has something to do with negative pressure build up in the octo holder causing it to draw air.) I got rid of the octo holder you described and went with something like this http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=976&parentCategory=974&sort=prsdesc . Worked much better as an octo holder and no air leaks after that.

My LDS sells something very similar but instead of the clip it loops around on itself to attach it to the BC. Not sure who makes it but sure that it wouldn't be too difficult to find out.
Would have to agree with everyone else that the holder is probably causing your problem.

May sound a little off but have you tried putting it in water without the holder to see if there is a littel leak. Or even hold it up to your ear while it is pressurized to see if it has an lp seat leak. This can be fixed with a simple flathead screwdriver.
Its ok about the holder those things suck anyway. They only destroy the mouth pice of an octo that sits in them too long anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom